I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Friday Follies,,,,,,,WHY???
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 01:53PM

False, because each person can add his on style to a particular pattern. YOu can look at 20 pictures posted of the same wrap, and pretty much tell who did what. The same way each person could impose their own personal style when Functioning. Different split grip materials, switch up the epoxy ramp, add a trim ring in the grip, search for new components, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 01:55PM

I would say both
It takes talent to do even if you are coping someone else’s pattern.
But it is definitely their artism (new word), that created the pattern to begin with

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 03:38PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:10PM

Billy, I would have to say I agree.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 06:12PM

Well, I've held off as long as I can on this one. Truth is, I'm not even close to any of you. I took over a year off after my precious wife passed away in May of 2005. It was really hard for me to get back into ANYTHING after that. I don't have many people around here that can afford the price of a true Custom rod. But, when I do get the rare order for one, I want it to be the best fishing tool that they've ever had in their hands. Therefore I build the best functioning rod that I know how. Then worry about the embellishments. As a couple of you have stated, I just don't have the patience for elaborate closed butt wraps. Best I can handle is an open diamond wrap. My main passion is taking old castoffs from the dump, flea markets, and yard sales and refurbish / repair / restore them, to give away to kids. Kids pretty much don't care what a rod looks like as long as it has something they like such as, their own name, their favorite colors, and a cartoon character or something like that on it. The long and short of it is, I'm not talented enough or patient enough to add a lot of bling or art. Sorry folks, that's just the way it is for me. I've had no complaints yet.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 08:30PM

I already know I am incapable of art. so with me it is strictly function.

Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:01PM

Ok, MJ, I woke this morning and read what you late night owls started... Spent all day wondering what is "FUNCTION"? What am I missing here when you folks are talking function? Find the spine if you do, put the handle on, reel seat, some properly spaced guides, color choice in thread, glob on the finish, spin dry and woala - a rod is born. Where did or does function come in?

Or, what qualities does a rod that does not carry function exist in characteristics?

So, function over art or art over function....

Does "art" detract from function?

I'm feeling all alone out in left field here,

Terry

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:04PM

I have been filling my head with info about the craft while performing so little actual rod building as to make me not much more than a fly on the wall. I do plan to turn that around so I feel I can add my perspective on the topic of Art or Function.

I strive to make the best performing rod I can accomplish for the purpose it is intended. That, to me, is my first responsibility to the work; whether it is for myself or for a client. The way it looks is also very important but they will never be enough to please me if I know they are only icing on a poorly constructed rod.

In considering the best rods I have seen in the photo pages they all seem to have mastered both the function and the artistic aspects. I'm thinking of the works of Terry Henson, Eden Bromfield, Hiro Tanaka, Italo Busi. A tool that performs it's task at very high degree of excellence has an intrinsic elegance.

If the goal is excellence then it seems apparent that the quality of the finished rod must meet that standard on all levels.. from construction and execution to the finishing touches. If it does not perform as well as it looks then it is less than a success in my estimation.

Dave

A man's goal should always exceed his grasp.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:30PM

Question:

Step One

What blank? What Components? What Technique? What Target?

If you do not have or seek the knowledge to make the proper choices all the beauty and good technique COULD be for naught.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 11:29PM

There is a framework I work within when I create my rods. I make all my rods the same as far as spine, type of guides, I use standard layouts for guide spacing. Also handle lengths, when I swell the butt, I only swell to a certain length, I use the appropriate size guides, although I change that from time to time. Now, if I know I am working within that framework, then the rod will function well and be a solid rod. In my opinion, that is the easy part...........

Knowing the above, then I can create off of that and stay with in the framework I provided above. I put the blank together and check for balance. Can I make the handle a little heavier? Does it need to be lighter? Then I create, taking into account the materials I am going to use.....Then I come up with a theme and try to match the feathers, wood, horn, ivory and thread to match that theme with the handle and reel seat, which are all taken into account. There are times I can't do what I want to a rod because it throws the rod really out of balance or it makes the butt section of the rod a little too stiff or firm.

There are times when I want the butt section to stay soft, as if there is no handle on the rod at all..........At times that will limit my art work on the handle and the fact that I probably won't swell the butt of the rod.

Therefore, for me it is FUNCTION first......Then lets jazz it up a bit and stay with in the limits of the rod to come up with something that no-one has ever seen before and that will easily cast a 6 wt line about 100 feet with little effort.

One of the last rods I posted was an 8 wt I did for a friend. When I put the blank together, it was REALLY TIP HEAVY and kind of felt bad in my hand, heavy, dorky out of balance are a few wiords that come to mind. Made a cork handle, then another handle with some trim on it and it was still too out of balance. Then I put the handle on it that I ended up leaving on it, coupled with a Bellinger reel seat and it felt pretty good. When all was said and done, the rod would throw a WF 8wt line 100 feet with ease and felt really balanced with a lightweight Loop Reel. Actually felt good. Not to mention that I had to tap the butt about 3 inches down and filled it with epoxy to complete the balance.

My advice to everyone reading this thread is to stay within an acceptable framework when building your rod and that should insure your rod will function properly.................... and from there..................................BE CREATIVE>..... and have fun

Terry

PS, thanks David for the knid words above, I appreciate it...................

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 12:53AM

I started out just wanting to build my own rod, kinda like how enjoyable it was to catch a fish on my own flies. Due greatly to the peolple and info I garnered on this forum, I continued to improve. Function and fishability was the goal early on. The 'Artsie' side of this builing was and is such gravy and fun to the whole hobby. As I have evolved, I have concluded that the better I get at the 'Artsie' side of the hobby the BETTER the Functional side of my rods has become. I am now at the 'Splitting Hairs Level' of function......of creating a very light, good components, well balanced, fit a specific reel, well wrapped, concept spaced guides, Forhan locked rod. But the 'asthetic Artsie' side of my builds still has much potential for improvement. Function/Fishability is very routine now, the challege , choice and fun is in the 'Artsie' side. This winter I want to learn to weave ..... specifically I want ot put a quality Bluegill weave on my own favorite farm pond rod. It is functioning just fine and I have now re-wrapped it for the fourth time in 6 years. I can't improve th function anymore but I can the "Artsie'. This is what makes the hobby so enjoyabe, fun and addictive. Weavers, get ready to help this old rod dog learn some new tricks. Thanks Steve

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 01:16PM

Steve;
If you want to improve on your "own favorite farm pond rod again? Try rewrapping it with tiny guides. I think you will find a marked improvement in function

Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 06:23PM

Function and utilization are the only major considerations. "Pretty" is secondary. Nothing at all wrong with building a rod that can combine good looks with superior "fishability", but
a rod that has been constructed for accuracy and comfort, with the right size and height guides for the reel and line used, is in the long run, going to be use more than one that is primarily a piece of artwork
Guides located correctly and in the right position on the blank to ensure the least friction, increased casting distance, accuracy.
Length of rod, taking into consideration the hookset, type of fish, fishing method, where fishing is done (overhead obstructions; bushes, branches, etc. also structure and cover in the water. Is rod long enough to guide lure around some of the obstructions, but so long as to be banging against close-in tree limbs, rocks, and such) Length for long distance or more for close-in small water?
Height of angler, what is comfortable or maybe too much rod. length of arm, or grip built to fit the hand comfortably.
Overhead caster, or consistently sidearm? Possibly-possibly- make some difference in splining.
Far as casting, no reason for a bass rod that is built correctly, along with a well-maintained reel not to cast a spinner or plug 100 feet with nothing but wrist, before even needing to use the arm.
Nothing wrong with making a rod nice looking, but have to feel that a guy buys a rod for primarily the fancy artwork is looking for something to show to others more than for the fishing.
Just too many considerations to list on here about function without getting in everybody elses way. so will leave this post about half done.
I like a nice looking rod myself, but will never be a major consideration.
Guaranee you, fish not going to give a damn when you land it.

Gary Bechtel
North Channel Tackle Service

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dial.mhtc.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 08:37PM

I feel like I'm late getting in on this conversation. I like to build a "Pretty" rod that works well. I don't build on a professional level, most of my rods are built for friends and family. I have found that you can build a rod that will function well and still look good. There is a compromise with wood handles as the added weight, many times that's a perceived disadvantage. Many of my rods will balance better than cork with out adding weight in the butt, the weight is built in and distributed well. I really should buy Clements, or Tom's book, but I don't have them and have never read them. I like to consider myself a people watcher, I've been fortunate enough to talk to several great minds, (Billy V, Putter, Doc Ski, Joe Emig, BD Ehler, and many others) in this business and it never ceases to amaze me how willing people are to share tips and help out a fellow builder. I'm wandering a bit, but I really think you can have it all, looks and function. Mark

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 09:14PM

I think function and art go hand in hand. A nice, well thought out rod which is decorated just seems to work better.

Stan

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 26, 2007 12:45AM

I still maintain that in the graphite/glass rod custom building process, most builders just assemble the rod. Those that are creative will innovate their own components while others will use what's available in the market. Therefore, this assembling process is not much of a craft if there is no art form. Unlike the bamboo rod building process where you manufacture the bamboo blank from scratch according to specific tapers and then assemble the rod, the finished rod is indeed a craft. I have personally seen how such a bamboo rod is crafted from bare bamboo stumps to a finished rod, it makes what I do seem elementary. However, I chose this line because I love art and enjoy putting life and soul into every rod I build. On MJ's Friday follies, when I build a rod for myself, I think of the art form first. If I were to build one for my customer, then it's function first. All the functional aspects have to be acertained from a series of questions. I happened to interview 3 customers last night at my workshop, and all three looked very bored when I had to go through the functional aspects with each one. However, all their eys lit up when we finally got down to the art form. One chose CRTA 60 with match guides, one chose Billy's bouquet of roses (lady customer) and the last left it competely to me. This, my friends, is the most enjoyable aspect of rod building.

Anthony Lee

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster