I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Friday Follies,,,,,,,WHY???
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 01:58AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:

MJ, don't even kid about this site going away! I
had seroius withdrawal when it just went down for
a day. IMO, it would be a real blow to the entire
craft!!

Ditto! Don't even go there.

I'm sure that a discussion along those lines is not one meant for this forum anyway
regardless of how strong many of us feel about it.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:05AM

Frankly, I believe the functional aspects of a fishing rod, except maybe bamboo fly rods, are no more of a mystery. If one wants to get into this craft, onus is on him to learn everything there is about the "rod". Having said this, there still may be exceptions, like some specific application rods which I have not built before. But, generally, the functional aspects are actually the no brainer issues. Therefore, I prefer to dwell more on esthetics and art forms to bring out some life into the rods. I strongly believe that this unique aspect can make the difference and therefore command the price you are asking. Michael Joyce is a good example.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:19AM

TRuth is, if this site went away, either another one would pop up, or we'd all spread out onto the existing forums.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:32AM

While your probably right Billy, I'd have to say this site in particular is the best central point of info out there and would be a great loss. I'm sure theres thousands of folks like myself who read posts several times a week if not daily and not post a lot so aren't as visible. I check the site almost daily but only log in when I want to post.

To the original question: quality is my highest priority. Nothing worse than having a grip come loose or something to that effect on a rod that looks beautiful. Plus, still learning buttwraps, just not patient enough nor have enough time to devote to them right now.

Phil

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:35AM

I always build with function before art. Of course the first thing I do has a lot of art and function combined and that would be the rear grip. So I guess I had better say, I work them both at the same time. Even the guides, I want them to be very functional for the job intended, yet I want them to look good also. So I would say, I work function, form and art at the same time. Function being my primary concern.

Thread Art , I am working on it and getting better at it.

I have dabbled in rod repairing off and on for many years. But , without this site, there is no way I could be where I am today in my rod building endeavors. You guys have taught me more in the last year than I would learn in a lifetime on my own.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 07:13AM

For me; it always has, is, and will always be about performance and function first.

While I do a small amount of artistic embellishment. I keep it simple and just enough so that when some looks at or picks up one of my rods they can tell it is custom.

Most times choosing to do just enough artwork to give them a look of elegance, and still have as Tom Kirkman said after photographing them;
“Very dramatic considering there were no loud colors involved. Just a really sharp looking set of rods I thought. All business.”

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 07:28AM

Growth of Business and Profit!

If they don't look good they MAY not buy the first one -

If they ain't no good they will NEVER buy the second one -

If they don't look good and ain't no good they will never tell their Bro to go git one!

Lookin good takes SOME extra time -

Really good ones take no extra time just sum smarts and a lot of attention to detail -

When they KNOW they are really good they don't care how they look -

Then I got em by the short hairs - and their cash!

Post in Honor of the "Ivory Lady" - Linda L.!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 08:47AM

Bill;
very well put!

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:24AM

I started out as Ray. I was into the art of rod building. I thought that's what made a custom rod custom. Since finding this site and Tom's mag I've learned more about rod building in a very short time, than I would have ever in a life time totaly on my own.

Thanks to all!!!!!!!!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Tim Sullivan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:45AM

Michael, you should only quit your hobby if you no longer enjoy it. Creativity is the major aspect of this hobby. People don't look at the pictures on this site and wonder if the rod weighs one ounce or if they were able to use one less guide (at least I don't). I look in awe at the beautiful artwork that you and others create and try to emulate it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 10:27AM by Tim Sullivan.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 10:15AM

My answer is easy! I drool over the fancy thread work done by the NERBS, Marc Crouse, DocSki and others - the turned wood handles, feather inlays, acrylic reel seats et al that grace the inside photo section of RodMaker are stunning & I wish I had half of that talent. Since I don't for me it has to be form (or function) over art - I think a couple of my customers would like an intricate wrap - and would even pay for the time - but doing a steady 1-3 rods/day plus repairs really leaves me little time - my weaving looms & patterns/ cork cutting jigs (even the new ones from Custom Tackle Supply that arrived yesterday) / jungle cock capes/ pen blanks etc pretty much gather (cork) dust and (bamboo) dust bunnies. - with appreciative customers whacking the scales off fish.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.205.5.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 10:55AM

OH NO!! Don't even say such a thing ( What if this site went away ) Gee I went bananas the other night when I was locked out from logging onto the forum. I have finally come to the realasation that I'm addicted to this animal.And possibly need help( No I do need help, ask my wife ) ??
The routine is like this. Come home from work,yes ! work.Sit down to dinner with the wife.Leave the table go to the rod room sit down at the bench, pick up Rodmaker read some.Then turn on computer to the forum for however how long??? Then work on what ever has to be done on a rod. grip or finish before retireing for the night. And then you say what i i f f f f f f-- bite your tongue.

I sure hope they'll have a R>B>A meeting formed to join if such a think happens.
GOOD DAY !!!!

Date: November 24, 2007 11:05AM

DOnald, trade your routine with MIke Barkley and you'll see what a real addict feels like.

My routine is this - get to work, check a dozen fishign sties, first looking to see where I can fight with someone. Check e-mails, see if I shoudl bother responding to any. Go back adn re-check all teh sites, see if any new posts, and hopefully a bite on a fight. Se if tehre are any questions I can answer. After checking all the sites, I check again, just in case someoen came on. REply to 1 or 2 e-mails, make a phone call. WHile on the phone, recheck teh sites. HAng up phone, make a few more posts, make another pass or 2 aroudn the forums. Go for a walk. GEt back to my desk, make another pass through teh fishing forms, if there are a few hot topics I'll check these and post to them several times before I go to lunch. GEt bck from lunch, make a few more passes through th eboards, answer a few more e-mails, make a phone call or 2. Get off phone, make another pass thorugh teh sites.

I then realize I have an hur left at work, and get something done real quick. I then make anoteh rpass through the forums. Cll my son, tell him to take out the food so when I get home the food is room temp so I can cook it. Get off phone, make another pass through forums. Look at teh clock - time to go, get changed, make another quick pass, and go home.

REpeat this routine for 6 or 7 years, and you will see what a PROBLEM really is, lol. What's really sad, is that there isn;t one exagerration of joke in this post, that's my actual routine.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 11:23AM

HEY!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 24, 2007 11:45AM

Teh fact it took you 18 minutes to see that and reply, says it all!! lol.

Posted by: Jerry Griffin (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 12:20PM

Interesting thread Mike, I had to give it a little thought but here's my take. The question began by "when you START a rod for someone or yourself....." key word being start. First off, I don't sell rods, right now this is a hobby for me, so I build for myself and a few friends. So I know exactly what the rod is for and where the rod will be used /abused. So that said I think that the START point comes with the planning, and ordering a the blank and components. So at that point I would have to say that it would be function over art, although I try to order components that not only will work great together but also look good together and help the rod stand out from the rack rods. HOWEVER, when it comes time to build, it's all about the art. I have already taken care of the function with the right components, good assembly takes care of the rest of that. Now it's time to be creative and produce something unique. I try to do something a little better than the last one ( key word "try") thats what makes it fun for me. So I guess at the end of the day when the rod is FINISHED for me it's all about the art.

Date: November 24, 2007 12:30PM

Just thought of something. Is not the functional part of rodbuilding also an art?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 01:10PM

Good point, Billy. Retirement is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 24, 2007 01:14PM

IMO -The Functional part of ROdbuilding could be considered an Art...to those who are at teh forefront of cutting edge techniques. IF ou gain all of your artistic functionality by reading what others are doing, then mimicing it with no creativity on our own, that is not very artistic at all. imo.

Date: November 24, 2007 01:26PM

If that is true for functionality, then for someone to copy a pattern and wrap that pattern in the same manner as it's inventor... is not artictic ability, but simply a copy of someone else's talent and artictic ability.

True or False?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster