I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What are these telescopic guides used for?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2007 09:38AM

These particular guides appear to slip over the rod blank. What fishing application are they used for and how would they actually be secured? If the cross -section of a round blank becomes "oval" when deeply loaded, what affect is there when these guides are slid onto the blank? If they are a friction type fit then static test guide spacing process gets tossed out the window. Thanks.

[www.fujitackle.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are these telescopic guides used for?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2007 09:44AM

The original type of this guide was used in the old Lew's custom rod displays found in many sporting goods stores. You could select a blank, slide some guides onto it, fit the blank into the handle and take your "custom rod" up to the cashier for check out. I'd love to find one of those old displays (with parts) somewhere today.

The rings on the older ones were plastic so they'd also go oval when the blank did. But there were still problems - they sometimes got brittle over time and the rings would split and the guides then moved or fell off the rod blank. Also, you were limited to a certain number of ring sizes so that you really couldn't always locate them on the blank exactly where you wanted. But it was a novel concept in its day and a good many of those "custom" rods were sold.

These newer ones are probably better, and intended for some type of long match rod or perhaps for telescoping rods where you need to be able to remove the guides when you collapse the rod. I really don't know what they're being marketing for now, but I doubt you'd want them on the average type rod we sell and use here in the U.S.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 20, 2007 11:43AM

Tim, notice they these are made in Ti Cermet - apparantly they are very popular in Japan, as they are easy to travel with. Keep looking further towards the back of the Fuji catalouge, you'll see they have a funny shaped tube that you can fold the rod up and put into. The UL guide at teh top has a very hard Nylon/plastic material, which Tom has been touting more guide MAnu's should be looking into as a frame. I have a few of the tip tops on my rods, one I used abotu 6 times this season and they held up just fine. They do not like heat though, so gettingthe tip top on is a one time operation - get it right or shoot yourself in teh foot.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 20, 2007 11:43AM

can anybody read that stuff? that would probably help.

I'm guessing that they are made for telescoping rods. doing a quick search, it looks like something very similar may be in use here
[www.profish3.com]

soem of those on your link even look like the ring may fold down against the blank, for storage maybe. Interesting indeed, but not somethign I see myself ever using

Posted by: Bruno Kovacs (---.cosh.broadband.ntl.com)
Date: November 20, 2007 12:12PM

These types of guides are often used in Europe, too, on telescopic rods. The guides are adhered at the and of each section, you can use either hotmelt, or epoxy. The ones with plastic inlays are used mainly at the tip section where you just slide them down on the blank to get a more equal load distribution. I still have some of these rods, they're good if you need a real long pole, or for travelling.
Hope this helps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 20, 2007 12:39PM

Joshua Turner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can anybody read that stuff?

It' snot that hard to figure out. The numbers are in English, adn the links also pop up in English at the bottom of your browser when your cursor passes over them. Navigating the Fuji site is pretty easy to do if you really want to do it.

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:13PM

One definition of telescopic is: "Having parts that slide one within another". To do this, requires tubes that sequentially decrease in size - and that's exactly what the mounting tubes on the telescopic guides do!
Hence the name "Telescopic Guides"

Rena

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 12:15PM by Rena Hall.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:16PM

Well, the ones he is on about are the guides that just slip onto the telescoping sections of the rod. More accurately, "slip on guides for telescoping rods". The tubes on the guides are fixed in size.

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 01:00PM

Ted Morgan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
More accurately, "slip on guides for
> telescoping rods". ---> WRONG

The tubes on the guides are
> fixed in size. ----> RIGHT - for each particular sequential guide.

Rena

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 12:16AM

I have a couple of the telescopic poles with slip on guides. These were made for Crappie poles . There will be 1 or 2 guides that fit each section. The poles come in lengths from 9 to about 14 ft.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:26AM

Thanks for the correction Rena. You're right: they are usually glued onto the ends of the sections. However, I have seen them sliding free on one free section collapsed. Long tip section, NGC style, where putting them every 4 to 5 inches results in about 4 guides on one section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster