I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line bunch at Butt guide
Posted by: Ricky Fleming (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 09:57PM

First post:
I have a 7 ft. rod with 8 guides. Reduction guides are 25, 16, 10. Running guides are 6's. The butt guide is at 23.75 from the face of the reel. The reel is a Quantum Exceler with 12 lb. fluro. The reel spool suggests 8 lb.
Reel face is 48mm. Chocker is at 1296. I have the guides set up per the New Guide Concept.
The rod casts fine for me. The person I built it for says the line is bunching up at the Butt guide. He can feel it. I can’t see it when he casts though. Of course, he is trying to hit the other side of the lake.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line bunch at Butt guide
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 10:03PM

I think it's all in his head. You've got the butt guide out far enough (almost too far) and with that size line I doubt he's really having any trouble. But the mind is a powerful thing. He may not be used to seeing that type set up and it's messing with his perception of how the rod is actually performing.

You can try this - select a size 30 butt guide. That'll likely pull it back a couple inches. You'll have to redo the other reduction guides as well. Now have him cast that. I will bet that it won't cast any further nor any better, but in his mind it will seem better.

You want him to be happy so you may have to go this route, even though it may be totally unncessary from a pure function standpoint.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 20, 2007 07:01PM

He could also be using a badly coiled line. As his lure or weight reaches the maximum distance the line starts to relax causing the coils to stack up at the guide. Just a thought.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 20, 2007 08:00PM

My thought would be the same as Ellis's as I have found the flora lines to have a lot more memory then most monos.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:21AM

I suggest a 30 butt guiide for a 12 lb flourcarbon and 48mm is a large spool. The rod needs to be test casted and guides adjusted for best performance with the reel and line of choice. The 16 and 10 may work but a 16 and 12 may work better.
Because of the line of choice.
Your customer is probably right.
Tom's book shows an easy and good initial method for concept guides which is also in the above library.
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 09:29PM

Remember, the customer is always right.

If I have a client that is interested in distance casting, and or line that is heavier than 6 lb test, I will typically go up to a size 30 guide for the first guide. Depending on the rod, I may also go up to a size 20 for the 2nd guide.

It shouldn't take long to swap out a couple of guides and recoat them.

The client will be happy that you spent the time to let the rod meet HIS expectations.

Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2007 09:30PM

The suggestions here aren't going to make the rod cast better - as you say, it already casts fine. The customer has something going on in his head that he can't get past. Probably, as I've found, he can't reconcile the NGC system with his long held image of spinning rods with large ring guides all the way out.

I'd have him cast what he has now and record his best distances on each of say, 30 to 35 casts. Then swap out the guides and tape larger sizes on and have him cast again and record those distances (most likely they'll be less). That's the only way he's going to realize that the problem is only in his head and not with the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster