I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spining a 9' 12wt flyrod, and a fighting handle?
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:02PM

I have been building rods for 17 years, 7 as pro, but no flyrods. I figured I might learn something new by buying a couple of fly rod building books. Now, while I repsect the authors, I found that the 2 guys put their guides on oposite sides of the blank from each other. And some of the reasoning was way off.

For an accurate cast the guides need to be on top of the spine (rod bent toward you and the spine facing you with guides outside the curve, on the spine) This lets the blank bend back as you are casting and thus using the curve of the spine may help you. Both books seemed to get that wrong. (the reasoning , that is) They also mentioned that for a stable fighting rod with no torque, the guides need to be on the bottom of the spine. IF THE GUIDES ARE UNDER THE ROD THERE WILL BE NO TORQUE...WHICHEVER WAY YOU DO IT!.

Anyway, I read these books and learned nothing. Where do you guys put your guides on a 12wt saltwater rod that will be cast from a yak to big fish offshore? On top of the spine like a casting rod, or the other way. Everything else I read I allready knew.

Leason learned, just come here and get free info from the best.................Kyle Ligon

I still like books so I thought there might be something in there I didn't know, thus, learning something. LOL! This site is where I learn things these days! (don't forget Rodmaker mag)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spining a 9' 12wt flyrod, and a fighting handle?
Date: November 19, 2007 05:10PM

Forgot to mention the fighting grip. A 5" cork grip about 4" above my regular handle would be great for my application(BIG FISH!!!). I also heard a test that doing that would snap the rod because the rod wasn't built for a fighting grip like the sage rods that are "supposedly" built up under and in front of that fighting grip. Loomis(the blank I'm using) said not to do it after they had to talk to several people, and as far as I know, one of those people may have been a lawyer that didn't want to pay for the warrantee??? What do you guys think?.................Kyle Ligon

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:46PM

I build on the straightest axis ... no spine involved.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:59PM

Agree with Jim on the guides, as far as the grip goes why not just build the grip longer to let them move their hand some during the fight? Something like the 10 1/2 inch grips used on the switch rods would get it done I think.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:30PM

A fly rod won't twist under load from a fish no matter where you put the guides because the guides are going to follow the direction of load which is normally going to be under the rod. So spine isn't important in that respect.

As far as casting, the blank is going to bend no matter where you orient the spine. If you want to be able to make straight casts, then any curvature has to be dealt with which usually involves building on the straightest axis and disregarding the spine.

Rod twist on the cast? Not really likely - your guides are going to be very low so any lever arm effect is minimal (although still there) and a shaft rotating around it's own axis will not cause your cast to move off to one side or the other. Bad curvature, however, can and sometimes will make casting straight a problem.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 10:41PM

Kyle,

I build lots of fly rods.

I always put the guides on the outside of the relaxed curve. Why? My reasoning is that I want the natural flex of the rod to track with the forward casting stroke.

I don't really think it matters all that much, though. I could think up a reason for that placement, and it seems to work just fine.

For what you are doing, I'd just put them on where it looks the straightest.

And, as far as that extra grip above the handle, it won't make the rod any weaker, but it will put more load on a portion of the blank that is not the strongest (does that make any sense??). While the angler may 'think' it will help fight a fish, you really can't apply more power than the rod can give you. Since it's likely that you can break the rod without resorting to the extra grip, it will gain you nothing except making it 'easier' to break the rod.

In other words, if the angler is too weak to fight a the fish from the regular grip, use a shorter rod.

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 20, 2007 12:51AM

Straightest access!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 22, 2007 09:40PM

When you all say "straightest access" I assume you mean to put the pieces together so they form the straightest rod possible, forgetting the spine? Right? Thanks, Kyle

Ps, The reason I was thinking about the extra fighting grip was because I expect to catch fish over 100#s with this outfit, but it sounds like I might just create a weak spot for the rod to break at

Pss, Also, The reason I didn't buy a shorter rod was because I will be casting while sitting in a kayak. My thinking is that I will need that extra length since I am so close to the water.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:30AM

A rod in that weight class would already be fairly beefy in the butt, and reinforced to take the stress of a longer or higher placed foregrip. As long as it's not insanely high above the regular grip, you should be fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster