I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork repair
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.22.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 04:34PM

I have a full wells grip with a chip out of the front shoulder of the grip, pretty much under where the thumb goes. The front of the grip is not rounded off - it takes a ninety degree bend to the blank. I was thinking of producing some fine cork dust, mixing it with Rod Bond, and shaping it to fill the hole left by the missing chip. I would appreciate any suggestions or cautions on how to accomplish this task, or a suggestions of a superior alternative solution. The rest of the cork in this grip is "extra flor" and in fine shape, so it's a job worth doing right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork repair
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2007 05:25PM

That will work, but cork dust and RodBond isn't the easiest thing to sand. You might be better off trying some regular wood putty in the appropriate color.

I'm sure some others will chime in with their own methods for this sort of thing.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 06:30PM

I keep 3 jars of sawdust on hand - - - pine; walnut; & fir - - - - for a repair i mix some
sawdust with "Elmers" wood glue - - - - - apply it as needed - - - maybe slightly extra so as
sanding will be easier to become flush - - - - works good - - - - urgently suggest that its
better to experiment on a trail piece first -- - - -

Live well - Love Much - Laugh Often - - - - GO FISHING ! !

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.240.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 01:39AM

You can use RodBond with dust or wood putty with good resuls, but the key to each is is undercutting the filled area. Match the color, and do a dovetail repair. V-grooves fail. Dovetails don't, or at least, much less so.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 03:08PM

Also, if you use rod bond or Tite Bond III for the repair, make sure the paste is very thick. It will look better and make it a tad easier to sand.

I also echo the comment on undercutting the repair area, especially for a large repair like yours.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:16PM

Or - you could do a "COMFICIENT" (Comfortable / Efficient) look. Dremel tool - as long as it's under where your thumb would be it should be fine -- "old school" look .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.148.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 02:17PM

Thanks for the tips. I used a Dremel tool with engraving bitt to dovetail the damaged cork, buttered the cavity with Rod Bond mixture, and slightly overfilled the cavity with Rodbond & cork dust mixed 2:1. It sanded easily, blends to near invisibility, and the texture and resiliance is highly satisfactory. Now, to discover the durability of the fix . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster