I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Custom Tackle Supply
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2007 09:45PM

To the best of my knowledge Custom Tackle Supply does not have a printed catalog. I suppose Bob could/should have told you that but I thought I'd go ahead and mention it in case you were wondering.

In fact, very few rod building component supply dealers have print catalogs any more. I miss them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 09:53PM

TOM.... The truth is that as far as I am concerned the better dealers still do...Mudhole, AnglersWorkshop,Merrick,CUI,Sevier,Utmost to name a few...all one has to do is inquire and in doing so at least a person can advise him of a catalog or not...It is called common courtesy.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 11:09PM

They are a wholesaler and they screwed me really bad once. Im actually glad they are gone.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 11:10PM

Fred,
Your post wasn't edited. If it was there would be a "last edite done by" who ever did the editing on the bottom of the post.

Sometimes the forum software dosnt see a word right and prints those "uppercase" charatures instead. I always try to
use the "Preview" button before I hit the "Post" button cuz sometimes that will show you before you post.

I edited this myself so you could see the notice

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2007 11:12PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2007 12:58AM

Fred,

If you do a search on the dealer you mentioned, you will see why they have been removed as a sponsor! Can you say "deceptive practices"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 01:02AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2007 01:02AM

Double Post!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 10:18AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 18, 2007 08:43AM

Fred -- The catalog request was "Supposedly" dis-mantled from our site, but as I check into it, it appears that it has not been. We do not offer a catalog that we publish, but rather manufacturer catalogs of all the companies that we represent. I had a lady that works part time and one of her postions is to take care of mailing these manufacturer catalogs to those that do want them. Her job was to contact those that may indeed, want the manufacturer catalogs and we then mail them Third Class Mail. She did not do a very good job with this positon and is now, no longer with our company. I did recieve an e-mail from you yesterday morning about this and got invloved with other issues at the shop yesterday moring, then forgot and failed to answer your e-mail message about this situation. In case you do not see this message, I will follow-up to your e-mail message that you sent directly to you. Here again, this was a prblem with one of my employess, not competely taking care of thier job assisgment, when I thought they were. I started having others letting me know about the problem, that I was not aware of and as I stated, she does not work for us any longer. I was not aware of fixing the problem, until others starting to bring this to my attention.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 08:46AM by Custom Tackle Supply.

Date: November 18, 2007 11:42AM

It is no coincidence that the companies in this business, who do the most business, are those with printed catalogs. Print catalogs are still the #1 method for driving sales, even to websites. Cabelas and Bass Pro would not continue to print and mail millions of catalogs if such a practice was outdated. I also understand that it's expensive for the smaller firms to print catalogs each year. It's a tough situation.

Fred,

Actually, The blind man only thinks he sees. Let me explain.

In the 5 years I've had this site online, I've had to remove 4 out of roughly 80 sponsors due to business dealings that I considered unethical. I don't get involved in other people's business practices (prices, shipping fees, back orders, etc.) but in the event that instances of practices that somehow defrauded or cheated customers I had to give a few the boot. I give dealers every possible benefit of the doubt because I know how things are on that side of the fence. But, when a pattern of documented experiences leads to proof that someone is not quite doing business on the up and up, I have to act insofar as removing that company as a sponsor. I then write into the software a means to keep them from being mentioned again, both to keep them from harming anyone else here and to prevent others who have done business with them from attacking them. I don't want that sort of thing taking place here.

You have to understand that many of the users here believe that I should vouch for all the sponsors here. I can't and won't do that. These are independent business people and you buy from them at your own risk. However, if I know for a fact that a company is involved in something that is not in line with ethical or fair business practices I would rather refund their money and remove them from the sponsor list than have any user here defrauded by them. Some offenses are worse that others but when a pattern becomes painfully obvious, I act in the best interests of those who use this site or read the magazine.

In the 5 years that this site has been online, we’ve had about 80 sponsors and just over 7000 registered users. In all that time and with all the activity we receive, I’ve only had to remove 4 sponsors and only banned 9 board users. Do the math and I think you’ll see that I do not act on petty grievances or silly notions. I do not indiscriminately, capriciously nor arbitrarily ban sponsors or indivual users from the board. To be removed as a sponsor or get yourself banned from using the board, you have to do something pretty harsh, and then, you have to do it several times. No one gets tossed without a very good reason and no one has ever been banned from the board because they disagreed with me or because I didn’t like them. I don’t do business that way. I don't do anything that way.

As far as the company you mentioned above, they were removed from the sponsor list at their own request. Your assumption was incorrect.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (69.224.71.---)
Date: November 18, 2007 03:02PM

I stand corrected.....After speaking the truth, I feel that I have treaded all over the Santa of rodbuilding,a true gentleman, a outstanding dealer, and it goes on and on and I am very sorry that I have not delt with this man above all men [or so it seems] All it would have taken was a simple "sorry we do not do mail catalogs" This was not Bobs fault because of his hiring of a un-qualified person...Yet this has taken two plus years of requesting a catalog and not one single "sorry we do not do catalogs via mail" I am one of those people who live on a fixed income and find that it is cheaper to order from email and not have to pay for telephone calls from Calif. I too like to save that buck like the dealers who do not do mail catalogs....Sorry Bob Mc Kamey I have nothing against you ,it was your company I found the problem with just as others have found problems with companys they have delt with....Two plus years of un-answered email.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: November 18, 2007 03:24PM

I can't and won't argue with that point, Fred. Bob is a good guy and has run a good business for many years. I am, however, much like yourself in that I rarely make phone calls to companies anymore if an email address is listed and will suffice for what I need to know - that's quicker and allows the recipient to take his time and answer when he's able to do so. I'd hate to think what would happen around my place if I didn't have email and had to rely on folks calling me all day. It would be a madhouse (it nearly is anyway).

Just something I've learned to do every so often - I send myself a few emails to test my service and see how long it takes for them to be received. Probably not a bad idea for anyone who depends on email service in their business these days. On a very few occasions, I found problems and was able to have the service provider make the necessary corrections.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (69.224.71.---)
Date: November 18, 2007 04:44PM

Tom...That is some real sound advise and I do hope you can pass this on , especially your sponsors who like you rely upon email for their business...I have nothing against Bob Mc Kamey and from what I hear he is a great guy and runs a great business but at times we fall asleep at the wheel and have to be awakened to the facts...you have brought a good learning curve to your sponsors here...Please pass it along to them.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 05:46PM

The email glitch that I discovered that caused a problem with Custom Tackle was one that I did know that existed. Tom's test listed above would not have discovered the fault. My service provider evidently had a problem with the service provider used by Custom Tackle. Cox.net blocked all outbound messages from their service to the united.net service. Their trouble shooting experts were not able to send an email to Custom Tackle from any IP address served by Cox. I could get messages from the Custom Tackle site but they could not recieve messages from me.

At present I can not send a message to wowway.com for the same reason - Mike Barkley will rest in peace until that link is repaired. The funny part is I can not instigate repair from my end. A complaint has to be filed to Cox.net from the blocked service provider. The ability to freely communicate via the internet has some things left to get straight to keep things like this from happening.

If you are a computer gheek and have a clue as to why this is happening maybe you can do us all a favor. Here is a copy of the blocking script that comes back when this occurs:

Reporting-MTA: dns; eastrmmtao104.cox.net
Arrival-Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:02:14 -0500
Received-From-MTA: dns; eastrmimpo01.cox.net (68.1.16.119)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <[email protected]>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; sa-smtp2.api-digital.com (63.238.52.102)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Blocked

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:34AM

Hey Bill (and anyone else who might be interested),

Watch that "geek" stuff. I'm an ISP but I ain't no geek.

I do see enough of these error messages to explain to you "non-geeks" what the error message might mean.

Reporting-MTA: dns; eastrmmtao104.cox.net
Arrival-Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:02:14 -0500
Received-From-MTA: dns; eastrmimpo01.cox.net (68.1.16.119)

The first part of the error message provides information on the sender's email server. This information is helpful to network technicians to quickly zero in on where the error is occurring. At the very least, it gives them a starting place to begin troubleshooting.
The error message provides important information such as the time and date the message is received and processed, and the domain address of the sender's email server, in this case, it looks like a server at Cox.Net ( eastrmmtao104.cox.net ).
At the very least, it tells me that the message left the sender's email server, made it through the Internet, and arrived at the receiver's email server before the message was rejected. The message did arrive at the email provider used by CTS.

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <[email protected]>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; sa-smtp2.api-digital.com (63.238.52.102)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Blocked

The second part of the error message references the rule the message "violates" (RFC822, Standard for ARPA Internet Text Messages), the server generating the error message ([email protected]), and the specific error (smtp; 550 Blocked), which means the action took place at the sending and receiving server level. That means that CTS never received the message, nor would they have had any notice that the message arrived, and was rejected. I would rule out a problem with the sender's account (Bill) and the actual email message. The sending and receiving servers are experiencing problems authenticating with one another, and may require intervention between cox.com and united.com email administrators to resolve the problem.

When we block a message, it usually means that we couldn't properly authenticate with a sender's server, or that the sender's server was blacklisted on one or more National RBL's (Resource Black List). It is usually up to the blacklisted ISP to resolve the problem, not the receiving ISP.

Although I couldn't tell you why the problem is specifically occurring, I can tell you that over the last two weeks, many ISPs have been experiencing serious denial of service attacks from spammers both within and outside the United States. Don't be surprised if you experience other, more frequent delays and email delivery failures until a solid and secure resolution takes place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 12:36AM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:25PM

Pat - thanks I will with great apology pull reference to GeeK where you are concerned! - looks like there are real problems in eland.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster