I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod recipe help
Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 05:41PM

I am getting ready to build on a Batson RDR100H. I am wanting to build a long range spinning rig for catfish or light saltwater or light surf rod, hopefully a crossover rod for all three. I am having trouble with the guide selection. Would the ngc work on a rod that long or should I decrease the amount of guides? I have never built anything over 7' so I,m kinda lost. I have looked at a couple of store rack rods of that length, but they usually have only 5-7 guides. The total handle length will be around 30". I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod recipe help
Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (68.178.80.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 06:09PM

Russell you could go th Batsons new web site and take a look at there guide spacing charts. See what there lay out is for a RDR100H

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Date: November 15, 2007 06:17PM

Thanks Bill. I looked at their guide spacing chart and couldn't find quite what I am looking for. That blank is intended for a different use. The only spacing they have is for a casting set-up. Would that work for spinning as well? I know I'm trying to use the blank outside its intent, I just figured it wouldn't matter that much. I hope anyway..

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 08:09PM

Russell; The blank doesn't care what you use it for or how it's rigged. The easiest thing for you to do, is set it up as suggested in the Library, here for spinning rods and stress test it to see that the the line follows the curve of the rod. Then test cast it and adjust your stripper if necessary and go ahead and build the rod.

Date: November 15, 2007 10:19PM

I am just trying to figure out guide selection mainly. I haven't purchased the guides yet. I am not sure how many I should go with to get the most casting distance out of the 10' spinning rod. Thanks.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 16, 2007 10:13PM

Russell,
If you have some info, like what reel your using, line, shock leader size, etc. We can probably get you pretty close on the guides. It's best to have a few guides, or other components extra than not enough as shipping and handling will eat you alive. Than you'll have some for the next rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 01:52AM

Russell,
Guide selection and placement is pretty straight forward.

For example, in your case with a 10 foot rod - I might suggest the following. Start with a size 40 stripper guide and work down to a size 8. Sine you want a lot of distance and reasonaly heavy line, you don't want the guides to restrict your casting distance.

I would put the first guide at about 24 inches from the reel and then work down from there. Simply put a good flex in the rod, and either yourself or a helper mark the rod where there is any significant bend. At these points, make sure that you place a guide to load the
blank and carry the line. Actually, with a 30 inch handle - you are reall,y fishing with a rod that is a bit over 7 feet. Then, with the first guide at 2 feet from the handle, you are looking at your first guide about 1/2 way down the blank. I would suspect that about 6 or 7 guides would be plenty of guides to load the blank and carry the line. As long as you have a guide where the blank bends, you are loading the blank and it will all work out fine.

A big mistake that too many rod builders make is to put on too many guides. More guides tend to make the rod tip heavy, as well as place unneeded drag on the line - when you are trying to distance casting.

If you really want to go for distance, and if the blank would accomodate it - it would nice to go with only about 3 guides. Fewer guides, more distance. of course this small number of guides would not load the rod, and you would have troubles when trying to land a fish.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 19, 2007 11:52AM

Thanks guys. I think i'm gonna go with about 8 guides. 3 sizes 40mm stepping down to 8's. Thanks for the help guys.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster