I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multi piece rod blanks???
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: November 15, 2007 02:13PM

I have had a request for 2 rods. A7 Wt 9 ft fly rod and a 6' 6" inch MH spinning rod both these rods are to come in pieces less then 20" so that they can be carried easly on a float plane

After searching most dealers and companies I can not find the blanks to build these rods. There was at one point a 6or 7 piece fly blank out there .

Any suggestions??

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi piece rod blanks???
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 02:54PM

CTS makes blanks available in 1 to 6 piece (Fly) and Spinning 1 to 3 piece.
So 20" for a fly rod will be relatively easy while the spinning rod a little less so. You might have to make a spinning rod from a fly blank.
What will the spinning rod be used for? What # line, lure weight?

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 03:22PM

Baston ( Rainshadow / Forecast ) has a series of Spin Bass 3&4 Piece travel blnks in their catalog that might work . They are on page 11. If you don't have a catalog here is the link to them on their website [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 03:57PM

just an FYI Cabelas has a 9' 8wt 7pc and 9.5' 7 wt 7 pc. both are on sle in their bargain cave right now for under $50.

Posted by: Mike Andreasen (69.241.124.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 04:06PM

I was going to mention that Cabelas rod too but someone beat me to it. However - just as an FYI:

First - be sure that you don't mind the Cabelas brand name because their logo comes on the blank and it isn't small. It's located up on the second or third piece (I don't remember which) so covering it up with thread isn't exactly as clean as you may wish.

Second - they also paint about a 2" line on each and every piece to show where they have found the backbone to be located. I was a bit miffed about that.

Sure, they are cosmetic issues and don't affect the performance....... but I for one wasn't very happy when I received the blank that I had ordered...........

Posted by: Mike Andreasen (69.241.124.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 05:14PM

Oh yeah - and I did find another blank that comes in 7 pieces. The website shows the pieces to be 17-19" long.
Look for Elkhorn rod blanks on the internet. I do not have any experience with these blanks so I have no idea as to their quality.
If anyone out there has any input on Elkhorn quality, I'd like to hear it........

Date: November 16, 2007 08:43AM

Thanks to everyone.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 16, 2007 10:08AM

Have never seen or fished the Elkhorn 7 piece rod/blanks, but I've fished a few of the 3 and 4 piece rods that they've built over the years and they are really nice rods for the money. Similar fine rods for the money are the upper end TFO rods and the Albrights.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2007 12:02PM

Here is a thought ... IF you can handle the rod breaking down to around 21.5".

Batson F907-5 RX6 5-piece fly blank.
Buy one blank and build as a 7wt fly rod.
Buy one blank, discard a section and build as a spinning rod ... it will come in just over 7'.

The cool part is that you will have a matched set.

BTW, if you will either move up or down a notch, 6wt or 8wt, you will find more options.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 16, 2007 05:28PM

Where are you going? I haven't been anywhere where I couldn't get there with my 3 piece spin/cast rods or a 4 piece fly rod, they are about the same length in luggage.
Can't imagine going anywhere in the bush where you couldn't pack in your backpack or a similar length duffle.
29 inches has always worked for me.

Date: November 16, 2007 10:15PM

Not for me Customer asks and I try to meet his request

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster