I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st wood reel seat
Posted by: Jeff Hanlon (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 08:20PM

I have just finished turning my first wood reel seat. Burled/Spaulted Maple. My question is what product should I use to preserve or waterproof it? I am torn on darkening with stain or spar varnish, or using something clear like Permagloss. It is going on a multi piece 6wt. The blank is a nice rootbeer color I puchased from one of the vendors on the left. Also any color suggestions? Copper accents? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
JH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st wood reel seat
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dial.mhtc.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 08:46PM

I like to use Super Glue and Boiled Linseed Oil for a finish. It's a little different to apply but I think the results are better than varnish and Permagloss. The link to applying is here [www.penturners.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2007 08:44AM by mark blabaum.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 09:39PM

I agree with Mark - a superglue (also known as CA glue) finish is about the hardest, clearest finish you can put on wood. It's used alot by the pen turning guys - I've used it on reelseats and it works great!

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 11:10PM

I use a few coats of MinWax clear gloss polyurethane with 0000 steel wool in between coats.

Russ

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 14, 2007 09:09AM

Wow another inovation taught to me by Mike B!!! Thats cool I will try it thanks mike.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 09:50AM

HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 14, 2007 11:07AM

I should mention that the BLO is not a necessity either, you can just do a straight CA glue finish. It's personal preference - that link that Mark provided is a great tutorial on how to apply CA glue with BLO. Applying without BLO is virtually identical, just eliminate the BLO steps. It's not as easy as Russ F. makes it look, but it's not that hard either. Practice it on some scrap before you turn loose on an amboyna burl reelseat or anything :-) I use a straight CA finish, 2 coats of thin CA followed by 3 coats of medium or thick CA. Sand to 12000 micromesh, or 4000 micromesh followed by turtlewax buffing compound and then brasso. You will get a gorgeous shine!

Also, make sure don't glue your fingers together. Not that I've ever done that or anything. It's just that I suppose it could happen. Again, not that I would know....

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 12:10PM

I would have to agree with Rich. I usually sand it to 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper, the trick is to not over sand and take off all of the finish you just applied. I have also made a poor mans buffing wheel to mount on the lathe and use white diamond to bring out the shine after sanding. The shine is deep, hard, and strong like bull.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 12:45PM

Permagloss or any standard thread finish like FlexC, ThreadM or the like.

DR

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 01:04PM

I personally soak my inserts for a couple of days in a very thinned varnish or danish oil finish. Stick it in a jar and put it in a window sill so it gets warmed and colled. Then I take it out, wipe it down, and dry it. Final finish is usually a few coats of Tru-oil.

Posted by: Jeff Hanlon (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 07:22PM

Thanks to everyone...I will definately check out those tutorials. I have used Tru-Oil on some gun stock refinish jobs, and on some Birch bark & cork grips (with good results), but I am looking to try something else.
By the way, I hope to someday have an actual wood lathe, but for now, my hand-me-down drill press will have to do the job. Takes a little longer to do and I have to be very careful not to get it out of round like my first 2 tries...I'm sure the trout won't mind if it is a little less than perfect...
Thanks again,
JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster