I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exposed blank reel seat
Posted by: jeff white (74.126.136.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 09:44PM

I am confused and need help. I want to use a exposed blank reel seat but i am not exactly sure how it needs to be secured to the blank. Correcty me if I am wrong, I need to measure where the seat will go so that i get one that fitts as tight as possible, insert arbors into seat and ream to fit blank then epoxy every thing to the blank?
I know I probably got all this wrong so any and all help will be greatly appeciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed blank reel seat
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 10:25PM

NO arbor, tight fit - ream if necessary.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 10:33PM

Some brands of exposed casting reel seats will require one arbor. If yours is one of these, there's two ways to do it.

Glue the arbor into the reel seat (after ensuring the seat fits the rod properly) and then ream the arbor out slowly, trying it on the blank until it fits. Glue the assembly onto the blank when done.
OR
Ream just the arbor to fit where it needs to go. Then glue the reel seat on first followed by gluing the arbor into the reel seat and also onto the blank by pushing it into the front reel seat opening.

Either way works OK; the method of gluing it into the seat first helps to ensure that there's no problems with being a tad off-center with the reaming job.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2007 10:12AM

I agree with Putter

When I build a rod like you write about, I use the following:
1. I use the plastic foam arbors that fit nicely and are easy to machine.
2. I Take the single or multiple arbors necessary to fill any openings in the reel seat. Then, I trim the arbors to length to fill the exact length of the reel seat.
3. For a casting type reel seat, there is normally an open area on the back part of the reel seat. To insure a good bond of the reel seat, I mill down a piece of cork until it fits perfectly inside the reel seat at the back, and trim the width so that it is a flush fit.
4. I ream out the back piece of cork to fit the blank at the position where the reel seat will be mounted.
5. I check the reel seat for fit, and if necessary ream the reel seat so that it is a perfect fit, as it slides down the blank to meet up with the back piece of cork.
6. Then, noting the spot where the reel seat is positioned - I remove the reel seat and ream out the single or multiple arbors that will be in the front part of the reel seat during mounting of the seat.
7. Finally I take one batch of 30 minute epoxy, coat the necessary parts, slide on the back piece of cork, the reel seat, and the front arbors and posiition in place.

Note:
I do all of my handle turning on the blank. So, in addition to the mounting of the reel seat as listed above, I am also mounting and gluing my cork rings for the back grip and fore grip at the same time as I am mounting the reel seat.
Following the glue up - I clamp everyting in place for a single glue setting and an excellent bond. After the glue sets, I place the entire blank and rod handle in my rod turning lathe, and shape the back and fore grip.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: jeff white (164.89.253.---)
Date: November 10, 2007 04:04PM

Thanks for all the help, now i can get started on it this week.

Jeff

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 10, 2007 04:27PM

When you order your blank, most vendors will fit the right size seat to it if you tell them how many inches from thr butt that you want it (unless of course, the blank is being drop shipped and they don't have one in stock) If you already have the blank, measure the spot where the opening will go with calipers and order the corresponding size.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster