I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fishing reel question
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 11:42AM

I know it's not rod related...

but what do you guys use to strip the existing grease and oil off your reels? I want something that will strip it clean but not damage the plastic parts.

I thought about using some gun scrubber, but I didn't know if it was a good idea on plastic. I know that stuff strips everything off my shotguns.

Also, which parts should be greased and which should be oiled on a baitcaster?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fishing reel question
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 12:16PM

Alex,

Sorry, I can't help with the removal of the gunk, but I can help with the lubrication. Gears should always be greased, and bearings oiled.

Hope this helps!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 12:17PM

You tried looking at the reel repair tutorials at www.tackletour.com? There are others on other sites also. Lots of them on how to improve the performance of Abus for instance.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 01:35PM

HERE IS A LINK THAT YOU WILL FIND QUITE INFORMATIVE AND THOROUGH. [p099.ezboard.com]

Posted by: James Roper (66.196.0.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 01:49PM

Alex,

I clean and repair lots of reels every year. Birchwood Casey markets a product called Reel Scrubber that work well for cleaning grease. I have also found that warm water with liquid dish washing soap works very well for cleaning. I use a colander to hold parts and scrub with a tooth brush. Rinse the parts in warm water and dry before assembly. Use a good quality reel oil and grease to lubricate the parts during assembly. Two of the best are Quantum Hot Sauce oil and grease. Also is can be important to have a good schematic of the reel when you start putting it back together.

J. Roper

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 02:32PM

Thanks for the info. I got some hot sauce last night (grease and oil). Ready to start cleaning and relubing.

Do you know if the reel scrubber is the same as gun scrubber?

Posted by: James Roper (66.196.0.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 03:04PM

I don't know about the specific formula of each product. Reel Scrubber says that it is safe for plastic. I use reel scrubber on reels and gun scrubber on guns. It is possible that some of the solvents in gun scrubber might attack the plastics on reels. Gun Scrubber does advertise to be synthetic safe however.

J. Roper

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 04:27PM

i use brake parts cleaner. disolves any type of grease in no time flat, it doesn't leave a residue on the parts and it's 1/4 the price of reels parts cleaner. just becareful of reel handles on penn reels made before 80's. i use it on all my penn diawa and shimano reels and never had a problem with any of the plastic parts except for the older penn handles

Posted by: Craig Sawtelle (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 09:09PM

Simple Green is used by alot of reel repair folks.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 10:01PM

Ditto. I use a solution of Simple Green and water. I soak metal parts in it overnight. It will affect plastic but only if you soak the plastic for a long time (hours). When I need to clean something like a reel handle, I will put a coating of Vaseline on the plastic knobs before I soak it. This totally protects it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster