I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plan for Ultralight metal ferrule for rear grip
Posted by: Timothy M ONeill (---.albyny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2007 08:06PM

After reading a few articles and looking at various Ultralight spinning blanks that are in my (low) price range, I am thinking of doing the following, taking a 6'6" blank, cutting it into four pieces and adding ferrules (something I have always wanted to try, still nervous but I'm going for it), and building the reelseat right to the butt, with a 12" rear grip on a scrap section of blank, with a metal ferrule in the butt (behind/inside the reel seat) to hold the sections securely while casting. This will (hopefully) give me a longer, travel friendly, and more responsive ultralight that I can take with me on my many travels. After having tried a few multi-section fly rods for the same thing and being unhappy with the results, I think this will be better.

Any and all comments welcome

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plan for Ultralight metal ferrule for rear grip
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2007 08:48PM

We've had articles on doing just that and it works quite nicely. In fact, you can install a female ferrule at either end of the handle assembly and configure it so that it will also function as a fly rod just by flipping the handle around, if you want that sort of thing.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2007 11:24PM

RodMaker magazine back issue 4.4 covers that and more.
Great article by Ralph O'Quinn!

See also "Advance Custom Rod Building" by Dale Clemens

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 08, 2007 08:48AM

Rays suggestion is spot on. Keep in mind though you may have to buy (depending on what u have in shop) two of the same blank or one fiberglass one graphite of similar taper. It is unnerving cutting a perfectly good blank but be confident.good luck!

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 08, 2007 08:49AM

ohh wait just saw u are using metal furls! Why metal?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2007 09:15AM

You'd only want a metal ferrule perhaps on the handle to the blank connection, not on the other sections. They'd make the rod very heavy and sloppy.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 08, 2007 09:40AM

Fibreglass oversleeve ferrules on the rod blank, and a metal ferrule for the handle section only. Lighter weight, better action. Just some careful measurement, enough fibreglass to allow for errors, and Robert's your mother's brother.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2007 10:47AM

i built a handle for a spin fl;y rod that exact same way. i used a lighweight aluminum ferrule the female inside the reel seat. for the handle section i used glass instad of graphite and it does not matter as long as the diameters match your ferrules. you could also make fiberglass spigot ferrules for the main rod but for the tip section oversleave is proably better. i have a multi piece three wt glass rod that has spigots for all but the tip which is oversleave. it is from japan made by axisco.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 08, 2007 11:08AM

The Batson F764-4s I've used in the past made dandy little ulralites and were pretty fast tipped for a fly blank in this price range. I now see they make one in a 5 piece also. The Tiger Eye blanks at Neal's and Black Dog and others also come in that length and a listed in a little higher weight rating.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 08, 2007 12:21PM

F662-4 DB 6’6” 4 2 0.295 3.5 Mod-Fast 0.83 oz. $ 27.27 try this one from Batson, great ul travel rod, handle can be made for spin or fly.
There are a couple of photo's on the photo pages that show a spinning/fly handle an all in one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster