I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Derlin Jig Source
Posted by: Mike Casey (---.blng.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 09:56AM

Has anybody that is using the new Doug Weber cork cutting jugs (from CTS) found a good source (or substitute) for the Derlin jigs that Doug outlines in his instructions? I've got a method that I have been using for years and it works pretty well. However, Doug's idea of using a Derlin jig that will allow the glue (Titebond III) to be easily scrapped off as well as avoiding the the metal reaction associated with Titebond III, is very appealing.

I have contacted the source that Doug recommends in the instructions, but they seem to be just suppliers of the raw material and having the machine work done to build the Derlin jig would be considerable (especially to have a dozen or so made up).

As an aside, I'd like to thank Doug Weber for going to the effort to perfect and get the jigs to a retailer. I had been looking into having custom jigs made locally, but it was cost prohibitive and they wouldn't have been nearly as well built as Doug's. Also, like to thank CTS for stocking them. The jigs are high end specialty product, so I doubt that Bob will make much on them, but they sure are the answer to my quest for a better cork jig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Derlin Jig Source
Posted by: Kaleb Kielisch (---.ntd.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 10:31AM

It is spelled delrin. You can get blocks of it at www.mcmaster.carr.com and it isent all that hard to mill. You can use mostly the same tools you use for wood and metal, finner teeth is best. It also goes by the name acetal, delrin is just its marketing name just like lexan/polycarbonate. It is also hard to get anything to stick to it because of its "self lubricating" proporties like you mentioned.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 10:56AM

You can also get it at www.smallparts.com a little bit cheaper then at McMaster still a 6x6x1/2 piece is still 50.60 at small parts. I like the precision of those jigs I am just having alittle trouble getting over the time it takes to actually cut the parts espically if you cut the burl cork. But if I were to do it again I think I would buy them. Just my 2 cents Scott

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 02:19PM

The only problem that I see with the new jig is that I haven't been able to do acrylic or wood and it took me 5 jewelers blades and a LONG time to do one of Andy's rings. (It's me, not the jig). It is a great jig and VERY precise but I am going to look into havong a shop widen the slots enough to get a different saw in. At this point, although it only does 8 wedges instead of the 12 that the new one does, but I prefer the other aluminum jigs they sell until I learn to do better with the new ones.

The new one is Great and I'm not taking anything away from it for cork, but I need to somehow modify it for wood/acrylic. Any Ideas?????????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 07:11PM

Any pics of the new jig? WIth al the jigs and saws and stuff people buy to make a checkerboard...it's probably just as much to buy a bandsaw. lol.

Date: November 05, 2007 10:49PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 11:33PM

I've never seen one of these jigs up close, but I'm considering purchasing one. I'm wondering if a coping saw would work? You can get various TPI for fine to aggressive cutting. Is a jewelers saw about the same? Has anyone tried a coping saw?

Date: November 06, 2007 12:34AM

The slots are .010" and the jewelers blade a like a fine wire with a burr edge. They are VERY fragile and the first time I used it, it took me 9 blades to cut ONE ring. They come in gross lots, which should tell you something. I haven't been able to find any saws that will fit it

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 06, 2007 12:42AM

Mike,

This evening, I've found coping blades at .011 thick, 32 TPI, and a 1/4" high profile. That's a pretty snug fit in a .010 slot.

Darrell

Posted by: Mike Casey (---.blng.qwest.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 08:46AM

Thanks for the leads on the Delrin. With a little 'Google work' I found a place in Portland, WA (Plastic Machine Company), that sells Delrin 'collars for $13.53 each in lots 1-5. They are now looking into the cost of cutting back pieces and plungers. I'll post the results if they come up with something.

About breaking the saw blades, I guess I've just been luck, but I the first time that I used the jig I cut about 20 rings, including 6 of Andy's burnt rings and I only broke one blade. For me, building the wooden stand for holding the saw and jug really helped. Since the blades only cost about $20 for 144, braking a few isn't an issue for me. It does take awhile to cut anything other than traditional cork, but I am willing to pay that price for the precision that the jig provides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster