I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diamondite Question
Posted by: Brian Avery (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 08:13PM

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I am a little unsure about the activation process for diamondite. I have read the instructions and scanned previous posts on diamodite, but I'm not sure if I need to heat the finish with the incandesant light until it reaches the desired temperature and then remove the light, or if the light needs to stay on the finish until it is cured. The directions say "...holding the finish at that tempreture..." which seems to indicate keeping the lights on. But then, how would you light a 9 foot fly rod, for instance? Seems to me that would take a lot of bulbs. Thanks for the help in adavance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamondite Question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2007 08:22PM

I keep the light ON the finish for one hour. If you don't have a bank of lights or a heat box, just do one or two wraps at a time with the light.

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2007 09:42PM

The product will cure with or without a light. You just speed up the process with an elevated temperature.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Posted by: Ron Zangari (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2007 09:35AM

One word of caution using lights on finish, they attract every flying insect in the area. We had some mild weather and I had the window open in my building room, and found out the hard way, maybe we should sticky a thread on all the disasters weve had rod building, I've sure got a few to share.

Posted by: Brian Avery (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: November 11, 2007 10:06PM

Thanks to all for the input. When it comes to a drying box, I am assuming that you construct the rod as usual on a wrapper, and then transfer it to the drying box. Are there any suggestions on doing this without bumping the wet rod during the transfer? In spite of being careful, accidents do happen, and I would hate to ruin a rod trying to get it into the box.
Are there any less expensive alternatives to rolling rod supports?
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster