I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions on cheap spin blanks to be used by kids..
Posted by: Chris Calandrelli (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 07:00AM

Hey all,
I am a fly fisherman that has built a few fly rods but I don't spin fish and have never built a spin rod.

My wifes family has a small place up in Maine that has some great striper fishing. The place is in desperate need of a few resident spin rods to be used by everyone from kids to adults. Anyone have suggestions on an appropriate spin blank for saltwater striper fishing that is way cheap? Figure this would be a great gift to the house and help me hone my building skills!!

Thanks,
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 07:01AM by Chris Calandrelli.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions on cheap spin blanks to be used by kids..
Posted by: Scott Gadsby (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 07:58AM

I would find a 1 piece e-glass blank for price. You can't beat glass for general rough use by everyone as they can take a whoopin. Check out the Forecast SWB70ML or SWB70M cheap and well made. Fishticks4U on the sponsors list can help ya. Mudhole has a Value eglass blank thats very cheap, never used them but for the price it might be worth calling them about it. I would also look into the Gatorglass blanks from Mudhole, tough as nails, kinda unfinished looking but cheap and would last forever. I would think Maine has some big stripers? Something like 6'-7' and 12-20 or 15-25 lbs?

Posted by: Keith Lovegrove (---.lyncva.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 09:04AM

Forecast Eglass from Fish Sticks 4U Call Robert he will provide expert advise on everything you need .

Keith

Thanks
Keith Lovegrove

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: November 04, 2007 10:30AM

Sorry double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 10:41AM by Simon Oakley.

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: November 04, 2007 10:39AM

Try the Batson glass spinning and casting line of blanks. Part number starts with SPG great blanks for the price. Or the glass saltwater blanks Part number SWB they would be my number one choice for kids. They will take a bit of abuse kids will give them like trying to pull the line off snags using the rod and being dropped ect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 10:52AM by Simon Oakley.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 12:15PM

Some good suggestions about using glass for these 'community' rods. They are going to suffer some rough treatment(believe me!0 and glass will do the trick. Learn to replace guides and don't look too surprised when someone manages to break one. They can break an anvil with a broom straw. C2

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 02:14PM

Chris , Forecast SPG blanks are the way to go . Low price and very tough.

Robert

Posted by: Chris Calandrelli (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 08:11AM

thanks for all the input!

Chris

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 07:23PM

Hello Chris
Forcast spg's are tough and very good values. They make great kids rods too. Only thing better is phenolic blanks for toughness and they are not longer made. I have some Phenolic blanks and covet them for kids trout rods. You might check with Ken Preston to see if he knows of a source for Phenolic blanks in your Stripper Country.
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 12:02AM

In addition to the previous posts.
I would go with a foam handle and only about 5 guides.
For this type rod, there is no sense in going crazy on guides either.
You should be able to get the total rod for about $20.

Or you could pick up a half dozen rods lik this which would be expendable:

[www.basspro.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: November 07, 2007 11:23PM

Hi Chris,

Something you might want to consider..................I've bought Brand name rods,

some $40-70 rods at garage sales for 2-10 bucks, because they had a tip broken,

guide needed replacement, handle was grungy and etc. Because we are a throw

away society, there is a great opportunity for a rod builder to take advantage of this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster