I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are TN handles still popular
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 07:39AM

Just wondering if many of you still get orders/requests for TN handle spinning rods. Seeing that most major manufacturers have dropped the TN, even on ultra-lites, I am wondering if it is because of demand, or is it because of production-manufacturing cost issues?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are TN handles still popular
Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 07:50AM

Marc I just got done building one for a customer. He is a bass fishermen who fishs tournements. I used graphite tube for the handle but for the same guy I have built cork also. He buys two a year and is a great customer. He says a lot of his buddy's use the same and will be needing. Hope thats true as It's a fast easy build and good money.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 08:55AM

It's the only way one of my clients can get a rod from me

Date: November 02, 2007 09:53AM

Steve Gardner is the greatest! I wanted to make a tenn handle and he took time out of his busy plumber schedule to walk me thru the way he builds tenn. handles. I followed his directions per the issue of rm and his directions over the phone and am the proud owner of I think the finest tenn rod made. The only thing i havn't done is wrap the reel to the rod but will have to get a reel worth attqaching first. THANKS STEVE!!! He is the king of tennesee In my book.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2007 10:41AM

Commerical rod trends wax and wane. Companies will try new things in order to find the next trend in hopes of a sudden increase in sales. Sometimes they hit on something that works, other times not. Most probably, TN handles have seen their better days on commercially produced rods, but don't be surprised if they should make a comeback at some point and are then touted as the "newest" thing in fishing rod technology.

Date: November 02, 2007 10:46AM

One of the things I hear is the way of attaching the reel to the seet is a comon complait. For whatever reason guys don't like the "tape method" and the rings never seem to hold after a season or two. Atleast thats what i hear.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 01:28PM

The cork wears over time and the friction fit of the seat rings just loosens as a result. It's less of an issue with materials other than cork, which is to say, that if you use wood, it'll still wear, but slower.

The artificial materials (Tom, tell us you really will have that article in the next issue, and it wasn't just another "tease") can pretty much alleviate the problem.

They now make tape in lots of colors. Carefully wrapped, it looks OK and certainly no worse than the artificial foam wrap that is currently seen on grips and foregrips. Maybe somebody can do an article on wrapping tape in a really cool and pretty way. How 'bout it, Billy?

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: November 02, 2007 02:26PM

See I don't know if that fits into Rod maker enough for Tom but I agree Russ. With the "off set" graphite handle like Steve taught me and a really nice "tape Job" I could talk some of those guys I mentioned into a ten. handle. Hope your paying attention Mr. Gardner as Russ and I just found your next article for RM lol. With all your spare time and all.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 04:35PM

I still get a lot of calls for TN handles from the bass guys. I've got some of them started using heat shrink tubing to fasten the reels on with. Others use "tommy tape."

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 05:09PM

Mr. Brodrick;
Thank you for the kind words.

As far as time goes, that has been a reel challenge for me lately. I have spent virtually every weekend and many week days for the last two months out of town competing in tournaments.
Plus this last week for my 28 Wed. Anniversary, I had to do this one. With me being gone so much fishing, if I hadn't you would most likely be reading a post from my wife saying something to the effect that
"Steve sleeps with the fishes”

I was supposed to have a follow up tips and tactics article to the Vibronics article completed. But have been so busy that I have missed two publishing dead lines already. So at best if Tom still decides to run it, it will be in the next issue at the earliest.

To those who emailed me concerning this and Tom; I apologize and will make every effort to get it completed.

Bill; from what I have experienced, once some of those guys play around with the rod you wrap the reel on with thread. You might have to talk them into tape just to keep from having the wrap some for them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 05:17PM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster