I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stone stripping guides
Posted by: Mike Wilson (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 01:02PM

Has anyone ever used one of these guides? I'm curious how they are. You can find them at mudhole under arcane component works.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stone stripping guides
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 04:20PM

You are referring to Agate stripper guides? I use one one every bamboo rod I make. They have been around forever. Some of the fly reel mfg used large agate stones as line guides on the reels.. they should last a lifetime. There is also a synthetic called an agatine stripper.. I think they are inferior, they look like plastic compared to the Agate.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 08:04PM

Angler's Workshop and I'm sure others have had them for years from various manufactures. I think Fuji still makes their ruby guides also.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: October 30, 2007 02:55AM

Merrick tackle carries the RUBY stripper at a $200+ price tag.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.3.180.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: October 30, 2007 07:02PM

Hi Fred,
Why agate over SiC? I know agate is very beautiful, but it is easily shattered and I'm guessing it is heavier that ceramic guides. I am also guessing that the prices are a bit steep. I ask all of this because I just finished a complete rebuild of a bamboo rod for customer who did not want to spend a lot of money. As a result I ended up with a ceramic stripping guide. In addition, I picked up a bamboo fly ord at an estate sale about fifteen years ago and will work on it this winter. This rod is a Montague Trail three piece with two tips. It has an agate stripping guide and an agate tip top with what appears to be nickel silver frames. I must admit that the diameter of the ring appears awfully small--certainly not more than 4 mm and perhaps a bit smaller. The rest of rod is in deplorable state. The nickel silver ferrules are mechanically in good shape, but there is considerable discolortion that displays some copper coloring. The varnish comes off by simply scraping my finger nail along the rod. The snake guides are visibly rusty. This rod will need a complete rebuild as well. I was thinking of using a ceramic strpping guide. In any event, please give me your thoughts on using agate guides. One other idea I had was that the rod I just finished wrapping and the one I will work on this winter do not appear to have any great value and while I cannot change them from being made from a sow's ear, I can make them into a useful fishing too that will be fun to use. Thanks for your ideas.

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster