I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which epoxy affliction is this?
Posted by: Ben Marsh (---.lns10.syd7.internode.on.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 11:53PM

This is a recent rod I epoxied and just noticed this.

What did I do wrong? I know it was me as I doubt the Flexcoat hibuild is what failed!

[images.benandmichelle.net]

I did a bit of a search, I suspect it was that I use methylated spirits to clean the syringes and they weren't fully dry, causing outgassing during the cure.

Anything else?

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which epoxy affliction is this?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:04AM

I think you nailed it! That looks like contamination to me. There is really no need to clean syringes. I've been using the same pair for several years and they have never been cleaned.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:08AM

Fish Eyes galore !!! Contamination from your syringes or from another source such as silicone or oil. I have never used syringes, but have used metal measuring spoons or the plastic graduated mixing cups and have never had that problem. I don't think you are supposed to clean the syringes.

Date: October 29, 2007 12:17AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>There is really no need to
> clean syringes.

So just leave the single epoxy parts in them and store? How should I store?

Ben

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:26AM

You pump the syringes after you're done to push out the last of the materials, and then as Flex Coat suggests, pull the plungers back about halfway and let them dry. We always wipe off the outside.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:52AM

Poke a hole in the cap or use the yorkers. Make the hole just snug enough to hold the syringes and thats where they stay. That little sticker on the syringes that tells you which is used in what bottle will come off eventually. Mark them somehow so you never end up using the oposite syringes and screw up the mixture.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:53AM

Poke a hole in the cap or use the yorkers. Make the hole just snug enough to hold the syringes and thats where they stay. That little sticker on the syringes that tells you which is used in what bottle will come off eventually. Mark them somehow so you never end up using the oposite syringes and screw up the mixture.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 01:31AM

Ben,

I followed Mike's advice from a previous similar thread and I have used my syringes for about 20-25 epoxy activities. Al lI do is wipe the outside clean and draw them back about half way and keep them in separate plastic containers with a lid. The are perfect for use every time.

I reckon the they will last a few years at least!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 05:25AM

The suggestions you received are all great. One question. Where did you get your syringes? I hope they are from Flex Coat an not a medical syringe. Medical syringes us a silicon for a lubricant. Silicon well cause fish eyes every time. I am a Diabetic years ago I tried to save money and use some of my syringes, guess what my finish looked like yours full of fish eyes. I keep all waxes and aerosol spray cans out of my rod room. Even odor sprays are a no no. Awhile back some rod builder stated his wife thought she would help clean up his room and polished everything using a spay wax. You guessed it he had to wash down his tools, lath, the walls of the shop and throw out about a 100 bucks worth of thread. With Gudbrode cutting back on thread sizes and colors. I am sure some of those threads would have been none replaceable today
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 10:46AM

I drill a hole in each cap just big enough to tightly fit a syringe tip into. Invert the bottles and draw out the amount of finish you want and squirt into a mixing cup. Stick the syringe back into the cap and draw back an inch or so and place on a shelf until next time. When the bottles run dry take the caps/syringes off and place on new bottle. Never have to clean the syringes and you can't mix them up or lose them. I've been using the same syringes/caps for at least a couple years. Quick, easy, no mess, no fuss and consistant, bo brainer measurements every time

One tip, though. Use the syringes that do NOT have the little black rubber on the end of the plunger. They can dry out, compress, get stuck or come loose.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 29, 2007 11:22AM

Looks like dirt or dust to me.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 01:20PM

If you use a magnifing gpass you should beable to tell if it is dust, wateror trapped air
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: October 29, 2007 01:25PM

If it's a contamination, it will be fish eyes. If it's from solvent, it is called solvent pop. Usually caused by a slow solvent that will not out gass before the epoxy begins to cure. If it happened fairly quickly after you applied the finish it's contamination. If it happend hours into the cure, it's solvent pop.

Date: October 31, 2007 10:08AM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where did you get your syringes?
> Good Wraps Bob

Yeah they are the Flexcoat ones.

At this point I'll add some further information. Previously I had stored the syringes in a jar of alcohol (as that is what I used to clean them and didn't realise it could cause such problems). I guess that I didn't sufficiently dry them prior to using in this instance. They are now stored as per the suggestions above.

If i give a light recoat, all will be well again anyway!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster