I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerkbait rod- bass
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net.176.28.72)
Date: October 28, 2007 02:40AM

Suggestions on a jerkbait rod for bass fishing? Not softbaits, but throwing something like a lucky craft pointer.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerkbait rod- bass
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 07:46AM

St. Croix 5C68MXF for Casting or 5S68MXF for Spinning are the Legend Elite blanks their top models for this application. You can also save some money by looking into the SCIV and SCIII models but they are not the same 6'8" length. CTS probably has some good blanks for this purpose as well.

Dave

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 01:55PM

I'd vote for the same rods that David suggests. However, I'd go with the 3C68MXF, just to save some $$$. It's the best jerkbait rod I've ever fished. I love to use it with Pointer 100s. You could throw the 78s with it too, but you'd have to make some line size adjustments, and/or tweak your reel settings. Personally, I might drop down to the 3C69MLXF or the 3C66MM for the 78s.

The 3C68MXF is also a phenomenal topwater and senko/sluggo/trick worm rod.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: October 28, 2007 02:27PM

Alex,batson RX8+S822.5 and the RX8+S823, both are med/xtra fast. That would be the top of the line and if it is a few $$ you would like to save look at the RX7 ISB822.5 and the ISB802.75 both blanks are med/x-fast. we stock both and they are on sale right now with free shipping.

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 03:57PM

I have and use the same rod that Andrew is talking about and it is a fine rod. I made it for jerk baits and found that it is a great rod for top waters also. In fact, on my first wade in the bay, I caught a large flounder bouncing a jig off of the bottom. The extra fast tip makes this rod a sensitive stick.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:41AM

I personally like slower action blanks for moving baits, try one of the St. Croix MM or MHM's.

Posted by: Steve Day (---.micron.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 11:07AM

I built a jerkbait rod on a St. Croix 3c66MHM and I like it. I have tried several other blanks and I think this one works the best... IMHO

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 11:39PM

The slower action rods are the only way to go. The jerkbait is a treble hook application and should be treated as a crankbait rod. Yet you do need some tip to impart the proper action on the particular bait. I have built about 15 jerkbaits rods. All are a little different. Another thing to think of is the handle length. You need a shorter handle to make it easier to work the bait. I also use rods from 6'-7' in length. The 6 footer is for short aggressive jerking on aggressive fish. The 7 footer is fiberglass and used primarily on spoonbill jerks in the early spring with pulling type actions like pul-pull-jerk. That 7' will wear you out if you think your going to be aggressive with it. I do like the StCroix SCIII in the moderate actions. I have also experimented with length, and found best action is with the 6'-6'3" lengths for the pointers, daiwa (type SG), x-rap, river2sea, megabass type jerks. After that the extra length becomes cumbersome. Too much tip weight and you will wear you out plus it kills a little bit of the action as the jerk becomes a little like a pull and the snap back does not happen quick enough and give the bait a good finishing glide to let it do 180's and crazy stuff. As you can see I love jerkbaits, In fact I throw it all year long, and just won a new boat using it on Lake Hamilton. If you have any particular questions please e-mail me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster