I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bounce
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 10:07AM

Just wondering if anyone has been using Bounce fabric softener sheets in the shop for dusting and static removal or is there a chance for fish eye contamination?

Thanks,
Jeff Leonard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bounce
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 11:12AM

I am not a chemist but just by the feel of them I would be very cautious. Why not run a test and get back to us with the results.

Gone fishing in two hours. tick tick

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 11:14AM

I haven't tried it for static control, but it makes a great final buffing pad when putting the final finish on a wooden grip. It is a very fine abrasive much like micro mesh when used in the final steps of buffing to get a high gloss finish. I have no contamination, but the grip is finished separate of the rod. Like Doc said you should try it on a scrap blank.

Doc good luck fishing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 11:15AM by mark blabaum.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:11PM

My 'Cave" room (also rod building and fly tying) in the far back of the basement is also the catch-all for hunting boots and vests and clothes. My two dogs also love to lay down there and sleep when I'm working. Add some Permagloss, Andy's Gel, Feathers, Denatured to the whole mix and there are times I walk in there and the odor is rather strong. I spot vac it quite often and don't do finish work within an hour of a vac job. I often hang a a Bounce strip up in a corner by a ceiling vent as a deodorizer. Works well and it is not real close to my wrapping bench. I have had no problems with my finish. When it is really rank in there sometimes I put on a small fan blowing air out the open door and I leave for a half hour.

Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 03:31PM

I've used Bounce to polish reels and it works well. I'll try it on wood handled rods.

It's also great to keep deer from eating my shrubery around the yard!!!

John

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 12:43PM

The best thing I have found for dust problems are Micro-Fiber Cleaning cloths, they contain no chemicals and do not not scratch the surface being cleaned . I use them for cleaning in my rod building area and wiping down the rod blank prior to applying th finish, the computer screen , camera lenses, tv screen , eye glasses and much more. When they get dirty just machine wash them and they are as good as new. They are available at most places that carry home cleaning products. The ones I buy are 12" x 12" and cost about $6.00 for a package of six

Bob Crook
La Pine, Or

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 07:44PM

I save the Bounce Fabric Softener sheets after laundry use. They are great for wiping down the TV and computer monitor to reduce dust clinging from static electricity. I have used them as a final finishing step for regular and burled cork on the lathe. The resulting finish is nice ... but not my overall favorite. I like how they finish wood better.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster