I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Bench
Posted by: Keith Lovegrove (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 10:26PM

Does any have plans and photos for a ROD BUILDING bench that has worked well .

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Keith

Thanks
Keith Lovegrove

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Bench
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 25, 2007 10:28PM

Order this month's and the next few RodMaker issues it's all in there.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2007 08:45AM

I'd have to go back and look in the index, but we've done a couple in RodMaker over the years. One was pretty simple - just a solid core wood door set upon two file cabinets which had been adjusted for height as necessary.

The current series in RodMaker details a much more elaborate bench that features mobility, onboard storage of all sorts of things, multiple lathes, dust control, full-length foot board speed control, etc., etc.

Probably more than you want to fool with this early in the game.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: October 26, 2007 09:03AM

I bought two damaged lower kitchen cabinets and a damaged counter top from Lowe's. put the cabinets on either end and set the counter top on top. After a few months the counter top began to sag in the middle so I reinforced it with an L-shaped piece of metal running on the front side underneath the top from cabinet to cabinet . Everything was less than $100.

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 09:56AM

Check with the Habitat for Humanity, they have re-sell stores in each community wherein you can find used/new counter tops, cabinets, and everything you can think of that goes into houses. Fair to cheap prices.

~Mark

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 11:09AM

I did like Scott 8' formica counter top and wto unfinished (cheap you can sometimes find seconds or damaged) kitchen cabinents. I have two setups like that.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:47PM

Keith,
I combined the two ideas above...Lowes and habitat for humanity. Found two matching base cabinets in excellent shape at habitiat for humanity at $30 each. Bought the 8' countertop from Lowes. I put pegboard on the wall behind the bench, and a drying box about 4' above the countertop. I used the underside of the drying box to mount fluorescent lights. I went to habitat yesterday and found a decent rolling desk chair for $5. They had some countertops and tons of interior and exterior doors, some without door knob holes drilled in them. Worth checking to see if there is one where you live.

Carrington

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 08:06PM

I picked up two 5 foot plastic topped folding tables for $30 each. They work great. Simple cheap and functional.
The nnice thing abou the folding tables is that if you have need in the room for a different purpose, it only takes a few minutes to fold the tables and store them away.

I do have a 10 foot long rod turning lathe that I use on top of the tables. The bulk of the work is done on this surface.

All of my "dirty work" cork drilling, sanding, lathe work etc. is done in the garage so that I don't have to worry about any dust getting into the "clean" rod wrapping and finishing room."

In the garage, I use a 10 foot steel work bench with a 2 inch hardwood table surface that makes an excellent rest for the rod lathe as well as for the other rod work.

--
In the garage, after working, and vacuuming the bulk of any dust - I simply open the garage doors, and use the air compressor and the air nozzle to blow any loose dust out the door and out of the garage. Slick, simple and easy cleanup.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.14.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2007 01:42AM

I use a 1/2 X 8 by 8 foot plank mounted to a wall for my wrap station, in the worst part of my home. My parts are scattered between a couple of tool boxes, an old kitchen cabinet, plastic parts bins, and several carboard boxes.

This was an upgrade from my TV trays in the living room and drying station on the fireplace mantle (because this really annoyed my wife).

You can build a rod anywhere (I've done it on my balcony). The real question is: Where can I build a rod with the least annoyance to the people who can make my life miserable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster