I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Future Issues...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2007 06:01PM

The Volume 10 #6 RodMaker was delivered to the printer today. It’s a particularly interesting issue with some techniques that are likely to start a couple of new crazes in custom rod building. Most subscribers will get it shortly before Christmas.

This afternoon I began work on Volume 11 #1, which will be the issue that I carry to the 2008 ICRBE. It will include a technique that will be a revelation to most custom rod builders; something to allow you to fashion steel, aluminum, alloys, etc., into butt caps, reel seats, slick butts or anything else you desire where such materials could be used appropriately as component parts. And no, you won’t need an expensive lathe, mill, drill, etc. The results are stunning and most anyone can learn to do it. More to come on this a little later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Future Issues...
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2007 06:41PM

Tom, some time back you mentioned something about an article addressing photography issues. Is that still one tap? I do OK with the weavig stuff but cross wraps and tigers are giving me fits.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 07:22PM

Sounds cool. I love working w/metals....jeesh I still havent received 10-5 and your already going to press with 10-6!

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 07:41PM

Same here Tom...I also have not received10-5 {Calif.} So at this rate 11-1 going to the western states will not be received until late January.
Isn't it great how our USPS is jacking us around and they are looking to increase mailing charges again this year. Oh Well such is life.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: October 25, 2007 07:44PM

Doc,

I have the photography article done, but after reading through it decided to see if I couldn't make it even simpler. I think I can. That one will run in the Volulme 11 #1 issue as well.

Steven,

That issue is due on October 28th so you should have it any day. If not, please email me directly and let me know.

Date: October 25, 2007 07:46PM

Fred,

Actually, once you've mailed stuff to other countries you begin to realize just how fantasic the USPS really is. Overseas mail left me with a 50% loss rate. Here with the USPS I rarely see more than a 2% loss rate and most of the time it's even lower than that.

10-5 isn't late, yet. I allow about 30 days for it to be delivered (standard for 3rd class) and most will be in subscribers hands by the 28th of each even numbered month.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 25, 2007 07:58PM

Got my 10-5 yesterday ! Love It !!!

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 09:56PM

So you are always one issue ahead or two?

Date: October 25, 2007 10:02PM

At least 1 and usually 2, with some articles and features in the works for 3 or 4 ahead. The article on rod buildng ergonomics had been in the works for 2 years before you read it. Some of these things take a good deal of time.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 25, 2007 10:24PM

Tom, all my orders from US thru USPS always arrive here in Singapore within 7 days from the time I receive the parcel tracking number. The most recent one from Joe Douglas arrived within 5 days. My orders from Japan is always received within 3 days. If the sender can provide the parcel tracking number code, which is a standard 15 digit alphanumeric code, we can always keep track of it. You should try sending RodMakers to Singapore and I will not be surprised that we may recieve them earlier that some within the US.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: October 25, 2007 11:32PM

Sounds good on the photography article. PLEASE "dumb it down" for me!! Simple minds need lots of help...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: paul vonderwall (---.224.220.203.dial.dynamic.acc01-walk-gaw.comind)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:30AM

hi tom will u be doing any more on cd at all

Date: October 26, 2007 08:50AM

Anthony,

I have tried sending magazines to Singapore, Thailand, China, Japan, Europe, South Africa, etc. It nearly put me out of business. The losses were just more than I could stand. Sorry, I just don't have the resources to do it. I work on a pretty thin budget and don't the time nor any staff to allow me to go to any great lengths to mail individual parcels overseas.

Again, sorry. I just can't do it.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: October 31, 2007 02:35PM

Cant wait to see the issue about forming aluminum and other metals. Maybe I can make an "up to date" end cap like the Matagi's and not have to pay an arm and a leg for them. I dont know why there are no american companies that make aluminum end caps like the ones at the bottom of this page [www.matagi.co.jp]? I feel they are the ultimate finishing product (especially the last one on the bottom right). They dont need to be used with weights, or even the female screw, just add some drywall tape and rod bond........BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I hope the article will show me how to make something like this, I will just do backflips.

-Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster