I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a spinning reel seat down for flyrod
Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: October 25, 2007 10:31AM

I've read a few things about using spinning reel seats on flyrods. Jann's has some nice cheap aluminum ones. The only problem is that they are 4 inches long. I was thinking about cutting off 1/2" to save some weight. What would be the best way to get a straight, clean cut?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a spinning reel seat down for flyrod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 12:34PM

Wrap some masking tape around the seat to give you a straight edge to cut against and than dress up lightly with sandpaper block or a fine file.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 01:54PM

Several 'best way's come to mind. Depends upon what you have in the shop. Hacksaw, metal bandsaw, lathe cut-off, angle grinder, and chop saw all come to mind. If the seat has some sort of finish on it, then you want to avoid overheating it. Slowest but least heat generating methods would be the hacksaw and then either bandsaw or metal lathe cut-off.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2007 02:15PM

I have no idea what tools or machinery you might have on hand. I'll assume you don't have much, no more than the average guy anway.

So, with a dremel tool (I'm assuming you might have one of these) you can use a cut-off wheel to make a pretty nice cut. Use a piece of masking tape for a straightedge as Spencer mentioned. After you've made the cut, use a flat file to square everything up.

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 02:12PM

Actually, I'm getting a Dremel for my birthday soon. I was thinking about using it for this purpose. My main concern is that the threads are angled, and whatever tool I use will tend to follow that angle. Therefore, the end result may not be perfectly flat. I was thinking about rigging up a miter box to use with a hack saw to get a straight cut,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 02:17PM by Curtis Trompler.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 04:35PM

Curtis,
With a wrap of tape as a guide you'll be surprised by how accurate you can make a cut. The threads will not be as much a problem as you may think.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 08:21PM

I use a chop saw with an abrasive cutoff wheel for cutting all of my blanks and reel seats. Quick and straight.

Take care
REW

p.s.
If you do a lot of rod work, a purchase of such a chop saw works very well.

For example:

[www.northerntool.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster