I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for good Fly blanks
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:34PM

I'm in the market for a couple of new fly blanks, and reels. One is going to be an 8wt- 9' for redfish, jacks, and trout in the surf and bays. I allready know what I want for it, and that's a GLX fast action blank. The other blank is where I'm not sure. It will be a 12-14wt - 9' for catching fish up to about 100#s form my kayak offshore, in the wind, lot's of 15 knot winds!. I looked at a 12wt GLX and that is probably what I will get, but I would love to hear what y'all have to say about thse blanks. Will they cut through the wind with tight loops, and will the 12wt+ GLX do the same? I have used GLoomis blanks for years on spinning and casting rods, and I have heard good things about their fast action helping in this relentless texas wind. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance...................Kyle aka Kcon

Ps, what about the lengths? Do I have them right?

PPS, one more thing, I need a waterproof reel so I have picked out 2 Danielsson reels, The 8twelve, and the 9thirteen, but they are on back order for the next month, but winter is coming so I'm not too worried about that since the good big trout fishing is after december, and shrks aren't good on the fly untill the end of next summer [danielsson-flyreels.se]

As for price, these blanks and reels are the most I can pay, $310 and $430 for the two reels and $320 and $365 for the 2 blanks. Parts are free, except for a few custom parts I will buy, like titanium guides for the 8wt, and an extendable fighting butt for the 12wt, Maybe a couple other things might pop up later on when I go to work

PPPS, I have a sales tax # because I build rods on the side so if there are cheaper places that sell wholesale, I'm game!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for good Fly blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:43PM

You will be surprised at the quality and performance of the Pfuegler Trion reels. Worth 2 or 3 times the price compared to other reels out there. Obviously, the saltwater species work a reel pretty darn hard, but I find these to be holding very well. I've just about replaced all my other reels with them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 07:14PM

No way I'd have a GLX in a kayak after fishing my 6 and 8 wts for over 12 years, they just don't hold up to tough conditions. I'd find a hardier, tougher blank like Angler's Workshop Salt Stalker, Graphite USA, CTS, or something similar. Sooner or later you have to land or release a big fish and that's when the rubber meats the road.
If I didn't already have all the fly reels I'll ever need I'd also get some nice Pfluegers, I'd have saved a bunch of money.
Angler's has some of the heavy Salt Stalkers on sale at a great price and also carry the Pfluegers.

Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:46PM

Tom, are those Pfuegler Trion reels waterproof? Mine have to be able to be submersed regularly due to offshore fishing in my yak. I fish in seas 4-6' high so they get very wet at times, especially if the yak gets dumped with the rods strapped onto the yak. Thanks, Kyle

Spencer, do you have a source for your favorite 12wt? I googled around and didn't find what I wanted, mainly cast or spin blanks. Do you fish in the bays or offshore in your yak? Thanks, Kyle Ligon

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:54PM

If you are looking for reasonably priced fast action blanks the Dan Craft FT series are hard to beat. I have only used them up to six weight but they perform extremely well. Call Dan Craft and visit with him about blanks to meet your needs. You won't be disappointed that you did.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:05PM

I used to fish once a week out in the bay with an old retired major league pitcher-Ted Wilkes. I once told him that I was going to try out a new reel that was salt water proof-little did I know. He laughed and said that the only thing salt water didn't hurt was salt water. Any reel will have to be taken care of after salt water use. One of my sons sent me Pflueger Trion for my birthday. I have it on a Tiger Eye six weight and couldn't ask for a better reel but I do take care of it.

I agree with Spencer. I would not fish out of a kayak offshore or in the surf with a GLX. One of my nephews was kayaking from shore with an expensive rod in his rod holder. A wave hit him cross-wise and flipped the kayak over an broke his rod.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:16PM

Pretty funny ... I too fish with Pflueger Trion reels and have been slowly getting rid of many other "premium" brands that used to hold my attention.

Along with the others that have commented, I would also recommend something MUCH tougher than a GLX blank for the kayak. I have no earthly idea what possesses you to fish in 4-6 foot seas from a kayak, but you are going to need some very durable gear AND gear you don't mind Dave Jones using.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: October 24, 2007 10:18AM

The Pflueger Trions, we have found over here in Oz, have one fault when it comes to SW: the bearings seize fairly quickly, even with religious washing and cleaning. They do NOT take kindly to being dunked. It's well worth it to strip it down and replace the bearing with a stainless steel bearing.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 24, 2007 11:24AM

Kyle,
I would try the Angler's Workshop SAF9012 which is a Graphite USA blank which have a very good saltwater reputation. Their part number for the blank is B L S 1014. The price now is considerably less than listed on the site. Very tough blanks. I have 3 of them in different configurations and weights I use in tough fishing conditions here in the Pacific Northwest and in Alaska.
Don't own a salt yak , I use an inflatable whitewater self bailing Hyside Padillac kayak that I use to get into whitewater fishing areas that you can't get into in any other way. Have went through quite a few rods till I found some that hold up bashed and crashed and hung up on brush. They certainly are not indestructable but hold up very well compared to other rods I've used.
R.B. Meiser to the left has used GUSA to design and build the blanks for his custom rods for many years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2007 11:30AM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster