I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Doubles foot Spinning rod guides?
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 02:00AM

I am looking at building a heavy Jigging rod and using the info Simon provided about using a Grafighter 760L.

I have not built a spinning rod yet. Can you all give me some pointers??? And tell me the advantage or disadvantage of double foot guides for a this type of rod?

It seems to me that the double foot would offer better durability, especially on a rod that is likely to travel and get beat around in a rod case at the airport. Is there a loss of sensitivity for double foot and if so would it matter on a rod this heavy?

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doubles foot Spinning rod guides?
Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:21AM

My opinion for what it may be worth, is the double foot guides are better on anything but the lightest rods, where every little bit of weight matters.

Yes single foots are prone to more damage. lots of my repair wor comes from single foot guides.

But it is usually us, the angler who damages the guide, just by forgetting they bend back easily.

i do not know of a heavy rod built with single foot guides. But i will watch this thread. I am sure to learn something new.

Good luck
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:21AM

My opinion for what it may be worth, is the double foot guides are better on anything but the lightest rods, where every little bit of weight matters.

Yes single foots are prone to more damage. lots of my repair wor comes from single foot guides.

But it is usually us, the angler who damages the guide, just by forgetting they bend back easily.

i do not know of a heavy rod built with single foot guides. But i will watch this thread. I am sure to learn something new.

Good luck
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: paul reyburn (---.boeing.com)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:38AM

i have one HNSG and the rest LBSG on a GUSA URS65XH and a URS80XH..acid wrapped rod..i was going to do a cut down 760L spinner, but found a better blank.(for this test) ... i am still using MNSG guides for the spinner. or maybe the ICMNSG..also looking at the amtac NIV and NIC which i have used with good results on lighter rods

NERBS

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 07:56AM

I build a lot of these rods. What I do is use double foot guides on the first two or three guides and single foot out at the tip. The best of both worlds.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:00AM

I tend to build my heavy spinning rods the same way as Billy. Using the New Guide Concept System, my larger transtition guides will be double footed, the running guides single footed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:47AM

I dont' understand the use of signle foot guides on this type of a rod. A 760L will have a reel weighing probably 30oz, and they use jigs 4-12oz, it just doesnt' make any sense to use the lighter guides on such a rod. The additional "performance" will be negated if teh rod cannot be used becasue a guide got damaged.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:51AM

I tend to agree with Billy V. I can't imagine that there would be much of a performance difference, on this large a spinner, betwen single foot and double foot guides. And if there's not much performance difference, why sacrifice the increased durability that double foot guides give you?

But I'll admit that I haven't tested this rigidly yet. I don't know; maybe there IS a big performance difference, and using single foots on the guides near the tip is the way to go. I'm sure I'll be corrected here if I'm wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2007 10:00AM

There is some difference. And, the larger, low frame single foot guides are pretty durable. By combining double foots in those areas where you're using the larger guides and the single foots on the tip, you get the durability you need but at the very least amount of weight increase.

If you do choose to go with all double footed guides, I'd use high frames for the transition from reel to choker guide and then drop to low frame casting guides, such as NSG style, for the choker and running guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster