I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

different thread finish on different coats?
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 12:52AM

I just finished putting finish on a rod, but it was the last of my Thread Master.

I have two bottles of Flex Coat. Has anyone ever used a different finish on the second coat? Are they compatable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: different thread finish on different coats?
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 12:57AM

I think you can put TM over LS. I don't know if it'd work the other way round, and I don't know if you can mix TM or LS with Flex Coat at all.

I'd just order some more TM. In general, we try to stay with one brand for a whole rod.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.96.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 01:33AM

I've often used FC over TM and LS with no problems to date. Like Russ, I prefer to stick with one brand if at all possible, but I'm "Applicationally Challenged" when it comes to TM and LS and often have to revert to my mainstay to get an acceptable finish.

I also generally use permagloss as a final coat over epoxy, which is a far greater difference in finish modulus than epoxy over epoxy, with, at least IMO, superior results than epoxy(ies) alone. Some have the same feeling on this practice as I have with thinning epoxy... (don't do it).

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: October 23, 2007 08:00AM

The finishes have different yellowing characteristics,keep that in mind.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:53AM

Most of the 100% solids based epoxies can be applied over different brands with no problem. I'd stick with the same brand and type if it were me, but in a pinch you can do what you're asking and shouldn't have any problems.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:20AM

I've laid TM over Aftcote many times......

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:49AM

Andy is going to KILL me with this one. I routinely mix 1CC of TM hardener, 1CC TM Resin, 1CC Aftcote Hardener, adn a1CC of Aftcote Resin - with no problems whatsoever. I couldn't keep it a secret any longer, hopefully he doesnt' see this and yell at me, lol.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 04:12PM

billy what does that do????

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 24, 2007 08:43AM

Jon, who knows? lol. I just did it because I read somewhere at some point you can't mix finishes & etc. Myth Busted for TM & Aftcote. lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster