I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting a graphite blank and ferrule search
Posted by: zeke Peterson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 10:12PM

I am fixing an older shimano blank with a colfor brand pistol handle. The blank measured 4'2" in length. If I purchase a 5' or 5'6" graphite blank, what's the preferred method for cutting it to length?

Alos, I am looking for the ferrule that will glue on to the butt end of the blank and get inserted into the pistol grip handle. It is not a blank thru handle. The measurements for the ferrule are 35mm in length with an od of 12 mm.

Thanks for any help and I really enjoy reading all the posts.

Zeke Peterson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting a graphite blank and ferrule search
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 22, 2007 10:26PM

Why can't you use the old ferrule?

Posted by: zeke Peterson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 11:12PM

When I was drilling out the old ferrule I messed up and let the bit get too hot and it melted the whole side of it.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:28AM

Cut the blank with a fine file.

Never a saw of any kind.

As for the rest check the sponsors.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:22AM

I cut my blanks with a rotary tool and a diamond cutting blade. Just make sure you use protection for your mouth and eyes as it produces ultra-fine particles of dust that could be potentially nasty.
Jeff

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 09:59AM

I use an abrasive wheel - mounted on a chop saw. The abrasive wheel quickly cuts the blank, like a hot knife through butter. Because it cuts so quickly, there is no heating of the blank at all.

This is one chop saw that I use. I have removed the two inch metal blade and replaced it with a 3 inch, 1/16th thick abrasive wheel. I also made a new guard to protect the user from the wheel, since the three inch wheel is larger than the 2 inch blade that came with the saw. I also replaced the motor with a heavy duty high speed industrial motor so that it doesn't slow down at all - irrespective the material. It will cut a steel bolt just as well as a rod blank now:

[]

This is another saw that I was contemplating using. It is a bit larger but will also work just fine.

[]

The only thing about this saw that isn't quite so nice, is that the available 7 inch wheels are a bit thicker than I like to use.

However, I typically use an 8 inch conventional chop saw where I have modified the cutting deck to raise it and keep it only at 90 degrees to the wheel. Then, I buy 1/16th abrasive tool room cutoff wheel to place on the blade. It will quickly slice through a blank, aluminum angle, steel rod, or any other material with minimum effort.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:11AM

Zeeke,
I assume this is the same build Tom tried to help with almost 2 weeks ago. Since you are virtually changing everything, I wouldn't be so attached to the grip unless it is custom engraved or something. I'd just start from scratch and save a bunch of work and headaches.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: October 24, 2007 03:36AM

That is why it is called "CUSTOM" otherwise you could buy it at Wally World !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster