I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Difference in color of Amtak titanium and Fuji Titanium?
Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: October 22, 2007 02:34PM

I have never used American tackle guides, but I was looking at the "Titan" series with titanium frames and Nanolite rings. I wanted to know if there was a big difference between American tackles titanium color and the Fuji titanium framed SIC color of frames? Wondering if I had half of one and half of another on a blank if it would be very noticable or are the frames from the two very similar??

Thanks for the help,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference in color of Amtak titanium and Fuji Titanium?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 02:38PM

They would be noticable.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 22, 2007 02:45PM

Not even close mike sorry. The fugi is almost a polished silver looking and the am tec is sort of dull almost like a gun metal. Then again why do they have to match?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 03:26PM

Boy there is surely a lot of action on the board about Fuji titanium.

They are highly different because Fuji tried to enhance the visual appeal to the "dull" look of titanium by coating it with a chrome plating. It was one whale of a mistake for guides primarily sold for resistance to salt water corrosion. To coat titanium or stainless steel with chrome it is necessary to pretreat the metal substrate with a copper ion. The Amtaks are not coated and I hope they stay that way. Look what happens quickly when a coated Fuji comes in contact with salt water. Thanks to Bill Vivona for the really good picture.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 03:29PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: October 22, 2007 03:30PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured that was the case. The rod im building is a spinning rod for my father in law so I wanted to match it up nicely. The cost of the Fuji's is just too much to justify.... I mean $30 for one size 30 stripper guide!!!!! I just cant come to terms with that. I think i'll stick with amtak for all the guides except the tip and hopefully the difference with the fuji tip isnt too noticable.

Thanks again for the help guy's,

-Mike

Posted by: Joe Hepp (---.44.109.22.res-cmts.nbh.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 04:31PM

For much the same reasoning, I have built a number of rods using the titans for all the guides and a fuji titanium tip top. Can't say I can recall anyone noticing the tip didn't match the guides exactly. Heck, even when using black framed alconites for the guides, I tend to put on a gunsmoke framed SiC tip and even that doesn't look out of place.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 04:58PM

You should be able to get that size #30 at a better price. I think one is defintely better than the other and if you do many rod repairs you'll see whose you end up replacing the most. This should be one way of gaugeing quality not by adds and pictures alone.

Date: October 23, 2007 09:04AM

I havent seen the Fuji titanium framed SIC size 30 spinning guide for less than $30 (and thats wholesale). If you know of somewhere that has that guide for less please, please, please let me know.

Thank you,

-Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster