I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Daiwa/loomis
Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 12:53PM

I see the high price of the daiwa steez rods, Am I wrong in thinking these are Loomis GLX blanks with the steez name and a great marketing team to push them to consumers? Those steez carry a hefty price tag.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Daiwa/loomis
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2007 01:23PM

I have seen and handled these rods. The blanks look nothing like a Loomis GLX or any other Loomis.
The blank has a texture to it, not sure why but its there.
My tournament partner has one, and two of the guides feel out as he was fighting a bass, while we were fishing a tournament. Never seen that happen before.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2007 03:01PM

No, they are not Loomis rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 21, 2007 07:42PM

The GLX has been out since '92-'93 you don't think someone has gotten something better or at least similar figured out by now? There are quite a few of the Diawas on sale used on the bass forums, guides have been a problem as mentioned above.

Date: October 21, 2007 08:34PM

My thinking was that since daiwa now owns Loomis that they might be pushing loomis blanks and call them a steez as something new and special. I have not handled a steez yet, and at the price they are asking I doubt I will.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: October 21, 2007 08:44PM

Hold the PRESS!!! Daiwa does not own Loomis. Shimano does.

Date: October 21, 2007 08:51PM

Daiwa has never owned any interest in G. Loomis, Inc.

Date: October 21, 2007 09:51PM

My bad It is Shimano that has Loomis. Thanks for the sarcasm, You guys are the best.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 11:08PM

It looks like no one wants to admite who makes Diawa blanks unless it is Diawa themselves or some un-named blank maker off-shore
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jonathan Young (---.dsl.applwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 01:10AM

Daiwa manufactures the steez blanks. The SVF blanks are built in a daiwa factory in Thailand. The SVF Compile-X blanks are built in a daiwa factory in Japan. I own both glx's and st. croix's legend elites. I used to think they were the best rods money could buy until I bought my first steez rod. I still love my glx's but the daiwa steez rods are the best bass rods I have fished with to date.

Date: October 22, 2007 09:22AM

At one time Daiwa made their blanks and rods here in the U.S. in California. I don't believe they've done that in some time, however.

Today Daiwa makes and/or has them made in the orient.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 09:14PM

Jonathan I sure would like to hear the reasons why you feel the Steeze Rod is superior to the other rods mentioned. What specific technique are you using when the Steeze is in use? The more detail you can provide will surely help those of us who are trying to upgrade the rods we build for bass fishermen. All ears here!

Thanks for your time.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2007 11:02PM

This may sound a bit egotistical but putting my partner’s Steez rod heads up against one of my custom rods

My rod is lighter, more sensitive, and is better built period.

Cosmetics look better and the guides have the Forhan’s locking wrap so they won’t fall out.
The blank on mine is a Batson RX8+

Posted by: Jonathan Young (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 01:22AM

I have built custom glx and st croix sv5 (no rx8 yet) for my personal use. I love these custom rods and continue to use them but the blank daiwa uses on the steez rods is lighter and stronger than any of loomis's or st croix's offerings. Most of what I like about the steez rods I can be build, but the blanks can not be bought. Also, from my experience, once you get above a certain level of graphite content/quality in the blank, the difference in sensitivity is too hard for my human hand to notice. I believe there are many other variables that influence the sensitivity of a fishing rod and a glx, sv5, and a steez svf blank are all plenty sensitive enough to catch fish. One more thing...those real seats are quite comfortable and can not be bought either.

Date: October 23, 2007 02:45AM

All that metal in the handle and seat assembly must put some weight in there. The reel seat, however, looks to be the new VSS seat from Fuji, or something VERY similar, just with a different locking system.

It would not be too hard to duplicate the build, and modify it however you want. Cosmetics, components, etc. can be sourced and bought. You just won't have the same graphite blank, or the Daiwa name. No matter what's said, it's a factory rod.

Posted by: Jonathan Young (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 01:31PM

The reel seat on the steez casting rod is like nothing fuji currently produces. The closest thing I can find would be a super sticker off-set design. I disassembled some of the handle components on my steez rod and found the metal used adds virtually no extra weight to the handle assembly. The steez is a factory rod with components I can buy or almost duplicate, but I can't buy the blank. Before the steez rods came out, I was against factory rods simply because I could build a better rod with the same blank to my liking. I actually never even considered buying a steez rod based on the high price until I found one for a really good deal. I only purchased this rod with the intent of evaluating it and then sell on @#$%&. After the first time I used it I was quite stunned/surprised with the performance. I wasn't expecting it to perform/feel better than my custom built rods. So yes the steez is a factory rod everyone can buy, but the main reason I started building rods was to get the best tool for the job. The steez rod is just another great tool I have added to my arsenal.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 07:19PM

Jonathan,
The Steez rod I looked at was not a blank through design, built like the old rod were. Is that how yours is also?

Posted by: Jonathan Young (---.imt.uwm.edu)
Date: October 23, 2007 10:25PM

You are correct, the reel seat is not a blank through design. I haven't noticed any loss in sensitivity with the daiwa reel seat when I compare it to my custom rods that have a split reel seat that exposes most of the blank under the reel.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 24, 2007 05:47AM

How do you compare the sensitivity of one rod versus another? I really am looking for the items that "stunned and surprised" you. Was it the blank?

Date: October 24, 2007 10:35AM

I meant the Steez spinning rod, which is the only one I have had a look at. Could very well be custom made for Daiwa by Fuji on both the spinning and casting setups.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster