I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

set-up for sting silver rod
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: October 20, 2007 11:18AM

I am in the process of building a surf rod for throwing 2-3 oz of metal for blues and rockfish. The rod is a st.croix 10 ft 3/4-4oz rod blank and the reel will either be a libra 3500, stradic 4000, or stradic 5000. I have a couple of questions:

1) can I get by with a 30mm (byag) for my first guide
2) can I use single foot guides instead of double foots
3) for running guides can I use the blag guides
4) will size 8 rings be enough to pass a knot (10-14 main line with 30 lb shock leader)

What set-ups are you metal throwers currently using. Thanks for any info.

Dan Grulke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: set-up for sting silver rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2007 03:30PM

I do not know what size guides will be large enough to pass your knots. You'll have to determine that on your own.

The other stuff is easily answered in the online library article here on the New Guide System primer. An updated and better version was in the issue before last of RodMaker Magazine. Once you decide what size line you'll be using you can decide on which reel to use, at which point you can easily determine the size of the first guide. Generally the ring of the guide should be roughly half, or just over that, the diameter of the spool. And this assumes that you'll be using a fairly high frame spinning type guide.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2007 03:45PM

#1 - You should be fine with a BYAG30, but you could always cut one leg off a BMNAG40.
#2 - Absolutely
#3 - Perfect, just use locking wraps
#4 - Maybe, but BLAG10's would be a sure thing. I would suggest giving it a test before you commit.

BTW, you will find the Shimano Spheros 4000 to be a very durable and suitable reel for your application.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2007 09:52PM

(1) Yes, but a 40mm would be better.
(2) Yes
(3) Yes
(4) In general, yes.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 11:53AM

Use the Stradic 5000 for the extra line capacity and you can actually get by with a size 25 byag instead of a 30. The 25 byag sets up well with that size Shimano. That 30 is too tall/high in my opinion for that reel. You definitely don't need a bmnag 40. I never thought about cutting a leg off of a two legged guide - interesting proposition. If you are going to have to pass shock knots, then by all means you want size 10 runners versus size 8s. I have built several light surf rods for 4000/5000 stradics and ended up with CYAG 25, 16, 10 and then CLAG 8 runners.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 02:13PM

Greetings Dan,

No 1.... I think you are "on the right track" even though You have received some very good advice.

And I would concur with 'yes' for the first 3, and on the 4th, Tom Kirkman pointed at the correct way.
I saw it the same way, when i recently reguided a ten footer for similar applications ranging upto 1 3/4 oz lures.

I needed greater distance than could be obtained with my 8 footers; I'll call it "My Long Bow" awe, I'm jesting, sorry.!!.

On my job, I used BLAG10's because I like to rig the frontend with a SS swivels then 30" of F/C then a small SS duolock snap. The reason is in the northeast corridor there is marvelous fishing for a number of daytime species possessing good eyesight.. To put that in another way, the extra diameters allow better stringing/unstringing. similar to Tom Ks 'knot clearance issues'.

Whatever you do with single foot guides, be sure to use the "forhan lock" as seen here on this forum ; I use 3 to 4 revolutions.per guide.

I have two old model Spheros 4000s(almost 20 years old), Stradic 4000, and Stradic 5000 which are all excellent. And for the sake of argument, for the last reguiding (this last fall), I used a spheros, as its design basis,

And I keep this heirloom and another one in perfect condition, anyway. I think Shimano retired these old models way too soon.

If you email me, I can send an "as built" html copy of the spreadsheet used for reguiding, which is like a 'spec' and features a graphical version of the design layout.

BTW this current season in my area, saw a lot of metals like 'deadly dicks' , 'megabaits', 'needl-eels', 'stingers', 'sparkle-jigs' and many..many more. In that case all can 'work well' for ya. I kinda meant I saw slightly fewer swimmers, etc. I , often, add bucktail and crystal-flash dressed trebles (ie good-eyes, again) to hide the hooks and to give a seductive tail impression.

Added BTW; For what its worth, I'd never cut a blank nor would I cut a guide...you dont need to. We (all of us) are fortunately 'rich' with products.

Good luck Dan,

Bob Marie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster