I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What To Do? HELP!!
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:07PM

Ok. i have had to remove some guides from my rod becasue i was careless when i made it back a few weeks. when i was binding the first 2 guides must have moved so the spacings werent correct. i wanted to fix this so i removed them and have fixed that spacings. i have not put finish on them yet but my question is where i have removed the guides the shiny finish on the blank which is a Samurai S1000X has been removed with the guides its fine everywhere its just were i have removed the guides. is there someway to replace this finish?? could i possibly thin out some of the finish that is used on the threads which is Felx Coat. i dont know exactly what type of flex coat as the writing has rubbed off the bottles, it comes in two little bottles ones yellow and ones black.

so my question is could i thin out something like that or another varnish type thingy and put over the old guide positions and would this make it look like the rest of the blank. or is there some other way of replacing finish on a blank?

thanks for the help
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What To Do? HELP!!
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:10PM

Very thin Flex Coat can work or use an exterior clear gloss polyurethane. The poly is what I'd recommend for a spot repair.

Date: October 19, 2007 08:33PM

thanks mike

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2007 12:28AM

Is the finish really removed in those areas, or is it there and julst no longer nicely polished and shiny? Seems like finish doesn't come off that easily, so I would not be surprised if the finish is there and it is just not shiny anymore. If that is the case, a fine polish made for plastics would be an interesting thought. Shine it up and you are back in business with a perfect finish match.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.76.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 20, 2007 12:34AM

Permagloss. Not much better.

Date: October 20, 2007 12:38AM

ill give the polish a try but if not i live in brisbane in australia and im 16 so i dont think my folks would let me order stuff over the net or phone. is there somewhere that i could buy permagloss from and why permagloss is it thinnner. (sorry new to rodbuilding)

Date: October 20, 2007 12:47AM

Tom, in the sponsor list is The Rodworks in your neck of the woods. Check them out. Good people.

Date: October 20, 2007 01:49AM

i was looking back in an old post and someone said something about wetting your finger and rubbing it accros the affected and not affected spots. i did that and there is hardly any difference does this mean that if i apply some permagloss or some other polyurethane gloss that it would look like that

Date: October 20, 2007 02:03AM

Tom, yes that is what that means. If you wet the blank over both areas and don't see a difference, then a basic gloss finish will be a good match. You may have to put your finish over the whole blank area between the guides to not show a ridge and have seamless finish as blending can be a bit tricky. Keep the lines sharp at the guides and nobody will ever notice (except for really sharp eyed rod builders, who probably wouldn't even mention it if it was good work).

Date: October 20, 2007 02:36AM

thanks a heap mick i will have a go over the weekend.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 01:06PM

Tom,

You might want to consider if you haven't already put the finish on the guides since you moved them, to take them back off and permagloss the entire area down to the last wrapped guide then place the guides back on and wrap./ finish. It'll make for a seamless look and IMO it's a lot easier than trying to Permagloss around the guides.

Walt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster