I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tacky Epoxy
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 18, 2007 07:04PM

I epoxied the guides on a rod that I'm building and I have a problem.

I put the guides on with 3 seperate batches of Flex Coat. One batch has failed to harden, it's three days and still tacky. I know of, and thought that I had taken all the precautions about precise mixing but it's too late now. Have any of you had this "sticky" problem? Short of removing the epoxied wraps is there anything that I can do?

I tried heating the epoxy with a hair dryer. Didn't help.

What will happen if I cover the tacky epoxy with another coat?

Thanks in advance
Don

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tacky Epoxy
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: October 18, 2007 08:39PM

It happened to me once, I am not sure what I did. I thought I mixed everythinng etc..... I did a search and found previous threads where others have had that experience as well. Short answer is put another coat of finish on the rod, and it will cure.

Good Luck!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2007 08:57PM

Don, If you do a search for Tacky Epoxy or Tacky finish and select ALL dates, you will probably get a few days worth of reading. Scroll down a little and you will find a thread on that exact thing form a day or so ago. Just put another thin coat and you should be OK

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 03:55AM

Don,
The only good solution is to remove the guide, take off the epoxy, clean up the blank, rewrap and recoat.

You can use a heat gun to futher soften the epoxy, cut the thread on the guide side with a razor, take off the guide and then use xylene to clean up the blank of the tacky epoxy.

Finally, rewrap the guides, and recoat the guides.

Note:
When mixing the guide coating, get an exact 1:1 mix of resin and hardner. Also, mix for two minutes.

Many many problems of tacky coating are caused by insufficient mixing of the resin and hardner.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:36AM

I disagree with roger! I have found and others here have too that if you mix a new batch and coat over the old one it will harden. Try one guide if you want to prove it.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:52AM

Here's my two cents.....I have had to rewrap a rod that I delivered that had a coat of finish on the guides that never hardened, even though I put a coat on top that did harden. Under constant use, the guides all became loose. My soultion: I have switched to Threadmaster, I warm the two parts up for 5-10 minutes in hot water, mix exactly 1 dram of each minimum, stir three minutes (with a timer) pour out into a foil lined glass tray, hit the mixture with a flame to eradicate bubbles, and apply. I have never had a failure yet. And, unless I'm building the biggest of rods, I apply one coat of TM. I tried the multiple coats of FlexCoat Lite, and found that it was three times the work and thee times the chance for problems. I don't see the need to try TM Lite.

I had plenty of success with the FlexCoat, but I also had some problems with tackiness. Maybe it was me, but using the process I outlined with TM, I haven't had a problem at all.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 03:21AM

I've had mixed results applying newly-mixed finish over a tacky finish, but wouldn't discount it as a solution. I only have time to build rods during the fall and early winter, so I am willing to wait days and even weeks to allow a finish to cure since I can't fish a rod immediately after completion anyway. My current rod-building room is usually on the cold side, so curing seems to take place slowly over a 3 or 5 day period, and even longer using Flec-Coat Lite. How important is the rod to your collection or to your client? If you're in a hurry to get the rod on the water, go a head and try adding a another coat of finish. If the rod is a special presentation, I'd go with Roger & Fran's advice.

One other thing... I think most of the failures I've experienced were caused by improperly mixing the finish on the sides of the mixing cup. I always make sure I "scrape" the sides of the cup several times in one direction, then the other, to ensure all of the finish is included; and I always mix more than I know I'll use.

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 22, 2007 08:52AM

I don't think that I missed the 50/50 mixture proportions as I know it's critical. I use denatured alcohol to thin the flex coat and I'm wondering if somehow that may have caused the mix to come up tacky. Any thoughts?

Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster