I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank for 15' float rod
Posted by: Jerry Brydalski (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2007 03:52PM

looking for a good quality blank to build a 15' float rod. I have built many 13' & 11'6", but can not find a suitable blank. Do I need to use a spey blank? Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank for 15' float rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 04:16PM

The manufacturers are backing away from the long blanks and I ses less and less of them being used also. Raven and others still build rods. I'm not sure anyone bulds a 15 ft light powered blank in spey rods either.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 05:05PM

Take a look at Talon [www.talon-graphite.com] . They make a 15' and a 17' 3-piece. They offer over 600 models so not everything is on their website. email them (Dwight) for a list of available models.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:43PM

Raven has 15 footers in IM6, IM8 and IM9 also you can get CTS spey blanks in 5/6,6/7,7/8,8/9,9/10/10/11 & 11/12 weight all in 15 foot lengths.
The CTS blanks are also available in 3,4,5 or 6 piece blanks. House of Hardy also makes a 15 foot 3 piece float blank that has a traditional slow action. Also available in 15 foot 3 piece is the GLoomis Frontier blank. Rumor has it that the new GLX float blanks will be available for purchase eventually, but that will be atleast a year or more. So you see there are lots of options in 15 foot float blanks out there!!!!

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:44PM

Jerry, I sell CND spey blanks in that length. They are not overly heavy. They are also not cheap.

Email or call me if interested. They are not in my online catalog yet. Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 08:53AM

I just finished the frontier 15' 3 pc float rod. I am stuck out of state and have only test cast it but I am very happy with the blank. I did a lot of research before hand and found that alot of the "Facts" were just opinions about likes and dislikes. I am putting the finishing touches on a 15' stcroix spey right now and the difference in the weight is very noticable. Not to say that other models like a sage or a loomis spey would not be lighter, but next to eachother the spey is a real cannon. The frontier was designed with great lakes steelheading in mind. I believe john collina had input on the blank design.

The blank I would look at also is either the raven IM8, or a loomis IMX which at the time I started buying material, neither was available, the IMX is still a while away frrom being available. The opinions about the Raven IM6 was that it was too noodley (might be a good option though if you like soft/slow). the IM9 was a little too fast for GL style fishing, and I was told brittle???. The IM8 was only available as a rod at the time I started, but everyone said that the rod as a factory build custom option was very nice. Again that was opinion given not my personnal experience so take it for what it is worth.

Jason Henderson

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 11:14AM

jason henderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just finished the frontier 15' 3 pc float rod.
> I am stuck out of state and have only test cast it
> but I am very happy with the blank. I did a lot
> of research before hand and found that alot of
> the "Facts" were just opinions about likes and
> dislikes. I am putting the finishing touches on
> a 15' stcroix spey right now and the difference in
> the weight is very noticable. Not to say that
> other models like a sage or a loomis spey would
> not be lighter, but next to eachother the spey is
> a real cannon. The frontier was designed with
> great lakes steelheading in mind. I believe john
> collina had input on the blank design.
>
> The blank I would look at also is either the raven
> IM8, or a loomis IMX which at the time I started
> buying material, neither was available, the IMX is
> still a while away frrom being available. The
> opinions about the Raven IM6 was that it was too
> noodley (might be a good option though if you like
> soft/slow). the IM9 was a little too fast for GL
> style fishing, and I was told brittle???. The IM8
> was only available as a rod at the time I started,
> but everyone said that the rod as a factory build
> custom option was very nice. Again that was
> opinion given not my personnal experience so take
> it for what it is worth.
>
> Jason Henderson

The 15 foot IM8 blank is available now, I have one waiting in my building room to be built :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 20, 2007 05:36PM

Jerry...

Of all the float rods I have built and felt and fished, the RAVEN 15 Foot IM8, is by far the best rod on the market for the $$$. I even like it better than the new GLX 15 footer.

paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster