I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

? for Billy V
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2007 10:55AM

I have read your post about the cost of $128 to ship 3 rods using the new math of the USPS with interest since i am employed with USPS as a Express Mail Clerk. I do not work at a window station or small post office but i process all express mail that has been accepted each day, sort, make sure customer has correct zip, and i place correct destination tag on every express bag and parcel before i turn all express mail over to FED-X. Yea, a lot of people do not realize Fed-X flies all of our express. Last night i received a package and soon i saw it, i thought about your post. This package was LxWxH, 102x3x1.5=106.5". I understand this package was not a tube as in your case but seeing this package and how little it cost to mail it to Virgin Island, $100 less than your quoted price. Like i said, this was not a tube and not insured, but i could not beleive the difference in price. Since express mail is based on weight only, have you considered this option. Dont get me wrong, i am not trying to drum up buisness for the USPS, just thought i would mention the express service. If you insure over $100, the first $100 is free. Oh, by the way, i read a news letter that the reason of the new rate and price change was that all the other shipping companies complained that our prices was not competitive with their rates.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ? for Billy V
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: October 17, 2007 11:09AM

I never considered Express because USPS shipping prices WERE competitive with everyone else, and Priority is just about as Express as I needed it to be. When the numbers popped up on teh screen, all I wanted to do was leave and post on RBO, lol.

I wil look into the Express cost - for me the USPS is 100% more convenient than any of the other companies since they are located close to me & I dont' drive.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2007 11:17AM

I forgot to mentioned, i see pvc and heavy duty cardboard tubes come through the mail few times a week.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 05:31PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: October 17, 2007 06:53PM

USPS has done well by us. Our local UPS Store seems to be a bit of a rip-off by comparison. The surcharges for anything longer than, say, 6" are ridiculous, even when we have our own packaging.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 06:59PM

Am I reading all of this correctly ???? Our U.S. Govt. is in competition with UPS, Fed Ex. DMX etc. ???? and they are crying because the USPS is not charging enough so our Govt. increases their prices ???? Am I the only one that is confused completely on this matter or are there others as dumb as I ????...Enough questions...when someone totally figures out the best was to ship our tubes PLEASE let the dumbies like me know...In the mean time I think I'll go feed the pack mules and carrier pidgeons.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:02PM

There is no best way, they all suck. Once you hand over your rod, assume tht all teh care you took building it is NOT handed over as well, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster