I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Awesome stuff
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 03:57PM

Andy Dear gives me this 15 min gel. All I have to say is awesome! I have a tourney on Bull Shoals Sat and Sun. I was able to build an entire rod in about 8 hrs with lunch and nap breaks between. I remember when using rod bond my nap break was overnight not an hour or so. It is definately awesome, now I'll have two rods that I broke that had to be replaced and ready to run by Thurs. SwEEEEEEEEEEEEEeet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Awesome stuff
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 05:30PM

15 min epoxy to hold the grips and handles on ?!?!?. I would say to hold cork rings together.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 05:53PM

Henry,

Andy's 15 min gel is designed for handles and seats. I had one just a few weeks back that I needed to remove the seat on and I destroyed the rod trying to get it off! YES it works...... and works VERY well for handles and seats.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 05:57PM

Henry,
The notion that cure time has any bearing on the strength of a bond is one of those myths that just won't seem to go away! 5 min epoxy will hold a grip/seat on fine and Andy's 15 mi stuff will pretty much hold anything.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 16, 2007 07:09PM

When I first joined these forums, I asked about bulk off brand epoxy from some guy that sells on @#$%&. With the responses I got I thought maybe I should go into the withness protection program or at very least never reveal my address here! I dont think I will ever believe anything said here about a product that has is sponsored here without having tried it for myself first.

Date: October 16, 2007 08:06PM

Not sure what you mean by " I dont think I will ever believe anything said here about a product that has is sponsored here without having tried it for myself first" but I don't think that any opinion posted here are in any way based on whether or not someone is a sponsor! If you look, I think that you will find many negative comments/opinions about products from sponsors! Everyone has their favorites! My comments were based on an article by Ralph O'Quin, the epoxy formulater that created Rod Bond published in Rodmaker magazine concerning epoxy myths, as well as previous post [www.rodbuilding.org]. They were NOT based on any particular product! Do I like Andy's Gel? Yes!! I also like Rod Bond and others.

I really question your implication that posts/opinions here are influenced by whether someone is a sponsor here or not. Previos posts just don't bear that out! I agree that one should take any internet info as what it is, AN OPINION which may or may not be valid. It's not meant to be believed or not believed, it's just meant to express ones experience or preference. Unfortunately, opinions way to often seem to become "fact", thus creating another myth!!
Just MY opinion!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 08:10PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: October 16, 2007 08:56PM

Date: October 16, 2007 09:37PM

Henry,

I'm honestly not trying to stir anything up but what is your point? Your first link illustrates my point about opinions. REC is a sponsor and one of the posts knocked their cork, other companies rec. differing opinions. B & D is NOT a sponsor and had both good and bad recomendations which just reinforces the need to do your own evaluation in ADDITION to someone's recomendation/opinion.

Not sure of the point of the second link! For about $20 ANYONE can purchase a ,org domain name (or.biz, .TV, .com or any of the many different domains available) There is no requirement or qualification other than that you have the registration fee.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 09:38PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:49PM

Against my better judgment, I'm going to chime in on this one.
Henry - Mike is right, but let me boil it down for you. If you see a product mentioned on this forum, you are reading opinions from folks who have, for the most part, used it. They either like it or they don't. Sometimes that depends strictly on what they were trying to use it for. Sometimes they knew what they were doing with it, and sometimes they didn't, and sometimes when they didn't they surely won't admit it. But they all have opinons.

If you take something that's said at face value and you try the stuff and it doesn't work for you, there's only two reasons: either it wasn't the right stuff for what you were trying to do, or you did it wrong. That''s not the fault of the sponsors, or the product That's on you. And all it was, was an experiment, until you find out what happens when you try it. That's nobody's fault either, not even yours. If you don't personally try it, then you don't know. There's a little extra cost sometimes, because whatever it was didn't work so it's wasted, and so is the time spent trying it. But then there's the education you got from trying it and that pretty much makes up for the cost, I think. You already said you won't accept what's said here unless you try it yourself. That's about the only smart thing you did say.

None of us on this Board owe anything to the sponsors, except thanks for their service. They earn that with their advice (freely given, even when you don't buy anything). We pay for the stuff just like you do.

Let's make it even simpler. If you don't want to participate here, that's on you. If you don't want the information freely offered here, that's on you. But if you do try something, and it doesn't work for you, there's a whole bunch of folks here who'd like to know that, because maybe they can help, and maybe they can learn from you too.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 12:32AM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 10:21PM

I've been frequenting this forum since May of 2005 and I attest to the fact that
Tom & his moderators do NOT pull posts or entire threads that paint ANY
sponsor in a negative light unless the post or thread is disrespectful or vulgar.

At one time or another I have seen just about every one of the sponsors be the
subject of an unsatisfied or upset customer who wished to take their frustration
out here. You can't please all the people all the time.

I see MANY more accolades than I do chopping and I take both with a grain of salt.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 11:11PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 11:05PM

I agree with Raymond. A lot of opinions expressed here has to do with experience. Experience does not mean one or two rods. Experience comes from building many rods to fish different situations and for different fish. Most of the builders who express an opinion about a product or method of doing something have been doing it for a long time. As for me when it comes to solving a product problem I go to the manufacture. In most cases my failure came from ME. After evaluating MY procedure I eliminated my problem. This site is not a stump where you beat up a manufacture or a supplier. This site is used to educate and inform.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 01:13AM

to the the thread starter....i havent used it myself but ive heard great stuff about it and will be ordering some for my next build and cant wait to try it....i too like the fact that you dont have to wait a day for it to cure up and that means more fishing time instead of waiting time

to henry...i found this forum before i got into rod building and ive listened to everyone here who has givin me advice or posted about and experience and tried stuff out before of it...so far not 1 time have i been disappointed...you can not listen to anyone here and that is your choice but please just read the opinions thoroughly before you put them off as biased and not worth anything....after all if the products the vendors sold were garbage they would no longer be in business...also if you look in the photos section you will see that the products from the vendors do work you just have to find the products that work the best for you and that is by trial and error

mike barkley has given me his opinion on a few products from vendors here and if he hadnt i probably would have never tried them...I am so glad that i do listen to him because every product i have tried that he has given me his opinion on i like very much...he also has a lot of tips and tricks that make life easier too :)

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:16AM

i was wondering if the gel is paste-ish (not a word but you will get my point) in order to complete epoxy ramps real quickly and easily.... does anyone have any experience with how many coats it will need to be able to do a nice ramp to say a size 17 reel seat?

i can't wait to try it, i'll put in an order soon as I'm working my way through the last batch of other stuff i have (and haven't had issue with it, just want to experiment on some personal rods I have on the horizon).

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:41AM

Steven,

Its about like thick ketchup. I tried a few ramps with it and didn't like it one bit for that-you may? The 5min FC liquid is easier, smother and does a better overall job of lying down evenly.

DR

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: October 17, 2007 11:06AM

Without the comments and experience of the participants of this forum, many of us would be working blind. If no one made any comments about a product or a vendor, how would we be able to find out or be informed about it or them. For many of us, we do not live in the vicinity of a reliably stocked vendor who can supply our needs. Most of the stuff we need has scant supply anywhere else but the US, and some places have an almost guaranteed zero supply locally. In my case for the most part, I would have to take a 24 hour + flight, pay for hotels and land transportation to the vendors address to see for myself. I may add that in my opinion any of the sponsors or indeed forum participants here would be more likely to put on a limousine service to pick me up from the local airport if I informed them that I was going to such efforts.As such I have found through experience on this board, that the vendors and participants, many who are very busy, will go out of their way to help and give support. They have the best of honor and integrity with unselfish intention and concerne for others-to provide a service and suppor that is appreciated by those who come to this forum to further their interest in rod building.
In general I find the intentions of, information provided by, and support given to, by the personalities, carachters, sponsors and other entities that make up what this forum has become to be impeccable, and a formidable example of a comunity who freel give to provide a servce to the public-and long may it continue.
Earl.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 11:57AM

i'm reading a lot of good posts from people explaining the benefits of user feedback on products both pro and con and the helpfulness of the rod builders contributing on this forum, all things i agree with. earl's latest statement of how many of us would be working blind is dead-on in my case. generally, many internet message boards offer this benefit. i find RB.org to be one of the best around.

what we're missing here is clarification from henry about his posts. henry, sorry to hear about your experience with responses about buying offbrand epoxy from @#$%&. i think i may have sent a private message to you back then but i'm sure it was not in any mean manner. i, as well as many others i imagine, would be inetersted in hearing more about what you are trying to say.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 02:22PM

I really want to try the 15 minute gel and plan to get some soon. I like everything about Rod Bond except the wait. If I can build handles and start wrapping the same night it would be awesome!

Can it also be used to glue cork rings? Sorry if this has been addressed but I've been too busy with my day job to research.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster