I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DVD recommendation for a newbie
Posted by: ken bower (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 05:42PM

Hi Guys,
i have been reading quite a bit here and finally decided to register. I have already picked up a ton of info reading through the posts.

I am just started rod building and I can't wait to start my first rod. Do you have any DVD recommendations? How about Flex Coat Rod Building "How We Do It"?

After watching the video I will buy my equipment. So far I am thinking about getting the Flexcoat HW1 Hand Wrapper and the American Tackle Rod Dryer (11 RPM) or maybe the Sully dryer. Any recommendations on wrappers dryers would be great as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 05:43PM by ken bower.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DVD recommendation for a newbie
Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 05:49PM

That is a good one, I would also recommend Ken Preston's DVD. Tom Kirkmans Book is also a good tool that helped me alot when I first got started. All very informative, and they make it easier to visualize what you will be doing.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2007 05:49PM

The Flex Coat DVD you mention would be hard to beat for a person at your current stage in rod building. Roger Seiders at Flex Coat has spent many years teaching custom rod building and that DVD is the result of a lot of time figuring out how to best get people started in this craft. If I were you, that's the one I'd start off with.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 06:34PM

The best $15 you will ever spend would be a copy of Rodbuildingf guide by Tom Kirkman!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 07:26PM

Ken,

I think you should get all three of the above mentioned items. Each will be great learning tools that you'll want to view/read multiple times. You are in for a wonderful experience!

Stan

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 07:58PM

Ken I will second all the above motions ! You don't need to start out with a great deal of money invested, it's not necessary. Get a couple of rods under your belt then if you are hooked like the rest of us, go for it. Don't be shy about asking any rod building questions you have. These guys are super rod builders and a great bunch of guys and they don't mind you picking their brain.

Date: October 15, 2007 08:47PM

Thanks for your input guys. I just ordered the Flex Coat DVD and the Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman.

How bad are the fumes from the epoxy used in rod building? I can tolerate using epoxy for tying clouser minnows and other epoxy head flies, but not much more. Do you guys use a respirator mask when applying the epoxy? This might seem like an odd question but I get really bad headaches when using epoxy/resin for more than 30-45 minutes or so. I apply all of the epoxy to the flies at once and leave the room.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: October 15, 2007 09:05PM

You don't get much fumes/emissions from thread finish. It's not the same stuff as epoxy adhesive. It can sensitize or irritate though. No need for the gas mask, just adequate ventilation (without introducing dust and dirt).

Date: October 15, 2007 10:37PM

Good to know -- I was thinking it would be more along the lines of a toxic epoxy/resin.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 11:23PM

KEN:
Try Diamondite Rod Finish; you may not have the same reaction to it since it is not an epoxy. It's really good stuff and nice to work with. The caveat is that you must use a color preservative under it, otherwise you'll end up with dark streaks throughout the finish. I've found most CP's work fine, just put on a flood coat. Good luck to you.
RON.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:38AM

The epoxies we're talking about here are not at all along the lines of a fiberglass cloth and polyester resin system. Now that can give some people fits. These epoxies don't really have any odor and don't release anything that you're going to have a hard time with. But you don't want it coming in contact with your bare skin any more than you can help it. If you're a bit messy, pick up some nitrile gloves and wear those while you work with epoxy.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:44AM

Look in the learning section at mudhole.com some videos and tutorials... FREE!

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 06:00PM

Some people are sensitive to (and others develop sensitivity over a period of time continuing using) epoxy hardeners. Best to be safe with adequate ventilation and, if it bothers you, get a good respiratory protector and use gloves. I don't personally know anyone who has developed these symptoms, but have heard of these effects during a chemical/plastic career. All the mfgrs will supply an MSDS upon request (Material Safety Data Sheet) so you can read up on the facts directly.

Tony M

Posted by: Eugene Rehberg (---.190.81.188.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 01:11AM

Alont these lines, what type of heat are you people using with the Diamondite finish? Thanks, Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster