I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy not setting hard
Posted by: john creamer (63.237.90.---)
Date: October 15, 2007 04:29PM

So far I have made 5 rods and had no problem. My 6th rod the epoxy did not cure hard. It has been two months and I stil can leave my nail inprint in it. I mixed it the same as the others and the only thing that I have used is Flex Coat.

JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy not setting hard
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 04:36PM

Guess what? You didn't mix it the same as the others ... you only thought you did.

Something was off - ratio and/or mixing time. Scuff it, mix another batch carefully and apply a thin "finish" coat.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 05:08PM

What type of finish were you using? One thing to remember is if you get to much hardner in the mix it well never set up. Where as if you get to much resin it well set up to fast. I am not sure if scuffing is a good idea sence the finish is still soft. You may find instead of sanding it may peal away. I would try scuffing one guide foot and see if that happens. If scuffing causes the finish to peal. just mix up a a new batch and put a thin new coat over the wraps. On the other hand if you can lightly scuff and get no pealing by all means scuff the rest and then put a thin coat of finish on the wraps.
Good Wraps Bob PS this has happened to all of us at one time or another

Posted by: John Anderson (---.ktc.com)
Date: October 15, 2007 09:28PM

All of the above suggestions are good and will solve the problem you are having. I would also say that this happens to most all rod builders at some time, even at Flex Coat.

The official word from Flex Coat is we feel 98% accurate in saying that a tacky finish is caused first, by not thoroughly mixing the two parts, and secondly, not measuring enough of the two parts,
(we recommend a minimum of 2-3cc of each part be measured and mixed at a time). Check out our web site and the hints page on measuring and mixing FlexCoat.

Your guide wraps can be recoated with a fresh batch of epoxy and it will cure out the tacky coating too.

Thanks to all for their comments.

John Anderson
Flex Coat

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 10:00PM

john anderson just curious but how does a new coat of epoxy make the tacky coating cure? (i hope you dont think im saying you dont know what you are talking about im just interested to know how that works)

Date: October 15, 2007 10:16PM

I foregot to mention, use a gray scotch Brit pad if you are going to scuff the finish. You can get the pad at any hardware store or Auto paint supplier store.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2007 10:27PM

If the existing finish is tacky, you don't want to use Scotchbrite on it - it's not going to repel the subsequent coats in that condition so you can skip the scuffing part.

But are we talking tacky, or just a little soft? Big difference.

Date: October 15, 2007 10:39PM

Thanks Tom for reaffirming my first suggestion
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 09:54PM

This happened to me recently (I take no responsibility for it, it just happened to me! Ha Ha) and I ended up just stripping it all off and starting over because I really didn't like the thought of all that uncured epoxy on a rod. Denatured alcohol took it right off, then I razor bladed the wraps over the guide feet to remove the thread. Careful: the alcohol may soften the painted finish of the blank.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster