I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ideal Temp for epoxy
Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 10:03AM

Well it's starting to chill down a bit here in the Noreast, New York to be exact. My inside temperature reads 70 degrees. Is this warm enough to have the expoxy cure and set or should I turn on the furnace for a couple of hours and raise the temp?

Thanks
Fernando

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideal Temp for epoxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2007 10:09AM

It will still set and cure, but for every drop of roughly 20F below 70F, you double the required time for that to happen. And, the colder the epoxy is, the more difficult it can be to work with.

72F to 78F seems to be the best compromise for workability and pot life for most thread coating epoxies.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: October 15, 2007 10:13AM

Build a drying box adn you'll never care what teh temps are.

Date: October 15, 2007 10:14AM

Thanks Tom, I was also thinking os some sort of heat lamp like the ones used for plants, that give off just enough heat but wont get the expoxy hot enogh to liquify an drip.

Fernando

Date: October 15, 2007 10:16AM

Thanks Billy

Guess I was writing while you were posting, I sent another reply to your shipping dilema.

Fernando

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 12:22PM

i agree with tom 72-78 seems to be the best...my room stays 78 degrees all year because we only have like 2 weeks of winter....during the little winter we have i keep the heat lamp for my snake cage on and it keeps the snake at cage at 95 degrees and the heat from the lamp also keeps the room around 72-76

you can just go get a heat bulb from a petshop and put it in your current lamp whenever you need to heat up your room...that should heat up the room pretty good or you can put your lamp closer to the rod building area and keep your work area warm

Date: October 15, 2007 02:06PM

Jon

Thanks for the tip. my son does have a snake in his room an when the lamp is on for a while his room does heat up pretty good. Will have to either put the rod dryer in his room or borrow the
lamp.

Thanks
Fernando

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster