I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stream smallmouth fly rod??
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: October 17, 2007 08:55AM

I think the idea of an "overweighted" fly line is interesting. Because the standard for fly line weights is a range (e.g., 5wt = 134-146 grains & 6wt=152-168grains) is an intentionally overweighted line always at the top of the range or in the small gap between its rated weight and the low end of the next line weight up (e.g., an overweighted 5wt is 150grains)? In my experience the difference between 2 specific lines I purchase can have a noticeable effect on loading, for example one could be labeled a "5wt" and be 134-135 grains and one a "6wt" and be 167-168 grains, a 34 grain difference or almost "1.5" X line weight heavier. That's why I think the ELN is a neat concept and why experienced fly fishers that use shooting heads rely on actual grain weights.

Also, my personal preference for river bass fishing here in the SE is a 9' "6wt". On a lot of rivers in GA & the Carolinas on one float we catch a variety of black bass species in a range of sizes - small Redeyes, big to really big Largemouths, Shoal Bass, bruising Smallies, & Spots (and on one river above Atlanta Rainbow & Brown Trout on the same float). As appropriate on this forum we talk a lot about blanks and lines but another piece of gear that is really important to tuning the rig to the habitat and species by river section is the "lowly leader". For me a fast action "6wt" gives me the versatility to change out leaders (I tie my own) as the species habitat and techniques change during the float. I admit that the casting can get pretty ugly and more chuck and duck as the fly size goes up but with the "right" leader and some modicum of loop control I can put the fly where I want it most of the time. When I'm fortunante enough to have big one hit I have confidence in my "weak link" and can put the fish on the reel and butt section. btw, where this all falls apart can be the real weak link - a less than perfectly tied knot or an abrassion I'm too lazy to check and retie. The "6wt" blank has never been an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 08:56AM by Steve Rushing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2007 06:37PM

A 6-weight rod is also a good choice. Very versatile for all these species.

Fly fishermen who learn the "underhand" fly cast can keep their fly and loop just inches from the water on both the back and forward casts. On a windy day, this pretty much negates any trouble and you can keep fishing even when the spinning and casting guys have to call it quits. I wonder how much the fly guys really practice out in their backyards. I'm out at least one evening a week for 15 to 20 minutes, and this is after 30 years of doing this.

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 09:25AM

aka, roll cast, or the spey cast . . . ?

much obliged,
– steve –

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 11:44PM

I think Tom is referring to the pendulum cast. The single spey where the underhand (lower) is the power hand is also called that sometimes.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster