I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extra Hard EVA
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 12, 2007 08:16PM

Hi Guys

I have been reading catalogues and the manufacturers are referring to "Extra Hard EVA Grips".

Is this material available in tubes and blocks to the rod builder?

Thanks
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extra Hard EVA
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 09:05PM

The hardest EVA I've seen is from Batson and is preshaped.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 12:33AM

I don't know the truth of it, but I had a manufacturer tell me that EVA hardens with exposure.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2007 09:06AM

Exposure to what? Unlike Hypalon, which "crusts" over on the outside after many seasons of sun and water exposure, EVA doesn't tend to do that. If anything, it gets softer after a time in the sun.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 01:18PM

I gather they meant sun and air, but as I said, that was 'their' statement and belief. What it is based on, I do not know.
I've notived that EVA that has sat around for awhile does seem to change color and darken a bit. And I can almost convince myself that the outside skin feels harder. But not so much that I can't chalk is up to just wishful thinking.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: October 14, 2007 02:30PM

Guys, This is a busy day for me here. 3 post in one session !
I have some in the form of a pre shaped grip with a tapered bore-20 inches in length-100 percent made for rod building. For EVA this stuff is very hard(for EVA that is) I would compare it to sqeezing balsa or the dense cork /rubber composite. This was given to me in a swap recently. It came from a shop in Singapore that specializes in Japanese style Jigging rods and the Jigging Master products. They deal alot with Taiwan, and I know alot of quite good rod componentory is manufactured inTaiwan these days. It is an ideal material for these heavy duty jigging rods in my view. Too many EVA's and Hypalons are just a bit too spongee in this arena-but this hard one isn't.
I worked with a distributor of plastic and closed cell foam products in the UK many years ago, and EVA came in many different hardnesses-but I cannot find them now so the trail ended there but for this one grip from Sigapore !!!
Earl.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 14, 2007 06:21PM

I felt some at a tackle shop last weekend (hard EVA that is) and it is rock hard. You can just depress it with your finger nail yest, it is suprisingly comfortable in the hand.

I am keen to get my hands on some!! Looks good for hooded foregrips.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 14, 2007 06:42PM

Just thought I'd chime in on this one. Chris when you find out where to get the hard EVA can you let me know as I'm interested. I'm sick of the spongee stuff.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 08:58PM

MAybe you guys missed teh part where I said Batson has the hardest EVA?

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 14, 2007 09:45PM

70% eh.. what is regular EVA?

Billy

I looked on Batson and scouldn't fin the EVA .. it is under CORK 9for some reason)...

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.78.---)
Date: October 15, 2007 09:07AM

Go to [www.rueylung.com.tw] to find more technical data on EVA than you'll need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster