I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I have a tutorial to distribute...
Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 02:47PM

Let me first say that I must give credit to Mr. Raymond Adams for this information. It was from his tutorial that he sent me some time ago that I made my tutorial which goes a bit more in depth on the complete guide wrap.

It is basically just a very detailed explanation of how I do my guide wraps from start to finish. It's nothing new or innovative but the pictures are good and it sure would have helped me when I first started.

Picture of the finished guide is here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

When I used to wrap guides or trim bands, and I transitioned to a different color, I would have to undo the new color spool from the tensioner and wrap it backwards around the blank and then put it back on the tensioner to continue. Using this technique, you can go from one color to the next without ever stopping to back wrap or pull a spool.

Again, thanks to Raymond Adams for this information.

It's about 1.6megs and if you want me to email it to you, just email me at:

gameguru@cox.net or dave@cabochonrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I have a tutorial to distribute...
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 03:24PM

Thanks David!
I appreciate the kind words. One day I hope to make some short video tutorials.

There are definately more than one way to skin a cat and I for one wuld love
to see more tutorials by others too!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 04:20PM

Always glad to see tutorialw with a fresh approach!!! Thanks! If anyone has any in the works, I would be glad to convert them to PDF format them for ease of distribution.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 04:23PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: October 13, 2007 04:58AM

I might have missed some people as my webhost (Yahoo) @#$%& and I am currently having all kinds of mail related issues. So...here is a direct link to the tutorial in PDF format (thanks again to Raymond Adams for hooking me up).

[cabochonrods.com]

Enjoy,
Dave Rogers
Cabochon Rods

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 07:18AM

Dave
Good job on the tutorial. As A beginner I found these Instructions easy to follow.I have not tryed to change thread color yet but I plan to on my next rod.It seems the advantage is using the pull loop to start the next color as opposed to just laying the next color thread on and wrapping over with the first color.This method has both threads under tension and ready wrap right away.On the subject of wrapping A thought crossed my mind(does not happen very often). If I flatten the first few inches of the tag end of the thread with my burnishing tool.Before I wrap over It, it would be less noticable under the wrap.What do you think.

Steve
Fish till you drop

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 08:50AM

Get rid of that barrel swivel and replace it with a piece of bright yarn. Nice job.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 10:17AM

Nice Job!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 13, 2007 10:34AM

steve stanfill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave
> Good job on the tutorial. As A beginner I found
> these Instructions easy to follow.I have not tryed
> to change thread color yet but I plan to on my
> next rod.It seems the advantage is using the pull
> loop to start the next color as opposed to just
> laying the next color thread on and wrapping over
> with the first color.This method has both threads
> under tension and ready wrap right away.On the
> subject of wrapping A thought crossed my mind(does
> not happen very often). If I flatten the first few
> inches of the tag end of the thread with my
> burnishing tool.Before I wrap over It, it would be
> less noticable under the wrap.What do you think.
>
>
> Steve
>
> Fish till you drop

What really saves me the time using this is not having to back wrap my thread. I use the tensioner that came with my wrapper so before I knew how to do this, I was unscrewing the next spool from the tensioner, then backwrapping it, then putting it back on the tensioner. Thats not so bad when you are finishing off a butt wrap but once you are doing 7-9 guides, it was VERY time consuming.

As far as burnishing the tag end...seems to me that if you wanted to hide the tag end, you could just use fewer wraps to hold it in place but under more tension. I generally use 3 wraps around the rod under what I would say is high tension to secure the next thread. Then I trim the thread flush with the third wrap and once the whole wrap is burnished, you can't tell where the transition is at all.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 12:08PM

David; Thank you for your Time and Effort! very nice work

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 01:28PM

Nice job Dave.....this is very helpful.

Posted by: Troy Bieger (---.38.121.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 02:10PM

Dave and Raymond:

I know its been said already but I will chime in here too... Thanks so much for this.

This type of info - especially with the excellent photo's is EXTREMELY helpful to those of us learning on our own. Almost everything I have done so far I have learned on this sight. I download every tutorial I can get my hands on. Haven't tried using them all yet but have them printed out and in a binder for when I need them.

I am working on my 4th rod and several first time "specialties" above and beyond a basic rod with straight wraps. This one is for the wife (I told her I needed to practice on a few before making one for her). So far I started with a GATOR blank, sanded down all the ridges with grey scotch pad. Made a custom EVA handle with purple grips and pink craft foam disks that turn out much better than I thought it would.

Next will be a coat of Permagloss to finish the sanded rod and then I'll be putting the color changing techniques to work with pink and purple wraps. - Wish me luck and Thanks again!!!

~Troy

Time on the water is the best preventative therapy I know, so why won't health insurance at least pay for fuel?

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 02:19PM

Simply outstanding! Thank you for sharing, David... Best Regards, Vance

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 03:28PM

Thanks Troy,
I'm sure your wife is gonna love the rod.

Thanks again David. Nice job on your tutorial too!

I don't consider myself a pro by a long shot but I do like very much trying to help others
and sharing what I do know. Tutorials are not only FUN to make but also can show some
little tricks or steps developed or stummbled upon by the authors that are not shown in
other "published" materials.

There are some great books available like Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman,
Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale P. Clemens, Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona
just to name a few as well as DVD's by Doc Ski, Putter, Andy Dear, Artie Herbert, and
others.

These should NOT be overlooked in place of the short but free tutorials that myself,
David Rogers, Doc Ski, Jim Upton, Mike Barkley, Scott Youschak, Mark Blabaum, Putter,
Bob Mieser, Billy Vivona, BD Ehlder, Terry Henson, and many others have provided via
websites & emails. These tutorials are GREAT but one would be missing a lot by not
investing a few dollars to obtain the big picture provided by the aforementioned books
and DVD's.

BTW, for those who missed my "Trimbands & Inlays" tutorial it can be seen ans saved
here. [www.washingtonfishingfools.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 10:23AM

I get a blank screen when i click on both links. What i am doing wrong. I have no trouble with any other pdf.

Dis regard. I switched from safaria to firefox. Got it.
Thanks,
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2007 10:46AM by Roger Rierson.

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 08:25PM

Roger: that's pretty funny, I sometimes have trouble seeing links (they come up blank) in Firefox -- then I insert the same URL in Safari and it comes up every time !!

Tony M

Posted by: James Harper (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 11:56PM

thank you David.

It was very well written and the excellent photos were great. Again, thank you.

Jim Harper

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 05:32AM

Thanks a bunch David!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster