I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish
Posted by: Justin Morrell (---.co.escambia.fl.us)
Date: October 12, 2007 10:44AM

What type of finish is best to use I tried the Flex Coat high build on my first rod and did not like the outcome has anyone used the U40 Dura Gloss LS supreme if so how did you like it please help I am placing another oreder and need the info. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:02AM

They are all good its. The problem lies between the worktable and the seat. You have to practice.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:04AM

Why did you not like the outcome? Was it too "thick" or did you have bubbles, runs etc? I, like many others, use FC High Build with great results. I would be interested in hearing why it didn't work for you to ensure there isn't an application issue that would surface again no matter what brand of finish you may use.

To answer your question, I haven't personally used LS Supreme but I haven't read anything bad about it either.

Just my 2¢.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:20AM

They all provide similar results as they are all similar products - epoxies. There are small application differences and you may find one that suits you better than another. But in most cases, you determine the result by means of how you're applying it.

I like the LS Supreme High Build. It's an excellent finish. Then too, so is Flex Coat.

Posted by: Justin Morrell (---.co.escambia.fl.us)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:35AM

I had very few bubbles and the ones I had I flamed out with a alcohol burner. The problem was the epoxy went on so thick and also started to cure while I was still applying the epoxy to the threads if I want to do multiple coats should I stay away from the high build.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 12:54PM

Justin try just applying to 3 to 4 guides at a time and make multiple batches. Some of the other finishes have a longer pot life but all the epoxies have similar results and each has its own idiocyncracies(wow big word for a pollock lol) Find one that works for you and stay with it. MY 2 cents

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 01:24PM

justin i use threadmaster lite and its great it has a very long working time and is very clear....i use lite build for everything i build no matter if its an ultra lite or a 100+lb offshore rod i just use multiple coats to get the thickness i like(i find the lite lets the bubbles go out easier)...to release bubbles isntead of using heat i like to blow in a straw at it and they usually come out no problem

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 01:47PM

Justin; Henry probably hit the nail on the head ! It appears to be your speed of application.The finish is trying to set up on you before you get all the guides covered. Try to be a little faster with your application. The speed comes with practice. I use Flex Coat Hi Build with no problem. When I first started I was a little too slow also. With that being said. You could also follow Doc's suggestion and do 3 or 4 guides at a time , then mix another batch. But you still must practice on your speed. Do the smaller guides first while the finish is still good and workable.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 02:05PM

Also...to get more working time, spread out your epoxy on a sheet of aluminum foil. It doesn't give you *alot* more time but will help if you are using it directly out of the mixing cup.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2007 02:11PM

You should be able to fully coat any guide in just 10 to 15 seconds. Get the finish on the wraps, then come back after they're all done and touch in any dry areas.

It may also help if you coat those guides on the tip area first. In other words, work from the tip back towards the butt. It's easier to coat the larger wraps on the butt with the thicker finish. You want to do the smaller wraps while the finish is still fairly liquid. That will almost automatically make things easier for you.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 03:14PM

Justin what kind of rod did you build? I use a butane torch for heat. I get a blue flame You need to watch how close you get the flame to the finish, if it is to close you can crystaliz your finish or melt your blank. What I do is I place the flame in front of my hand, when I feel the heat without burning my self this is the distance I keep the flame from the finish. I do this while the rod is turning on the dryer. It is essential you keep the flame moving back an forth. I you look at the bottom of the rod you well see globs form. wick off this excess with long stroks. Go to Flex Coat, they also have direction on thinning
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 03:23PM

The latest LS Supreme lite finish will give you a lot of time for application and it is easy to apply. Just allow for extra drying time. If there is a finish that sets up more slowly I'm not aware of it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 03:38PM

Justin there is a problem with your email. Check it for correct address. My email keeps comming back none deliverable address
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 09:10PM

As Stan has mentioned, the latest LS Supreme is designed to give almost an hr of pot life, yet the turn time and useable time is about the same as always. I was thinking of the myriad of times out there where so many people just have to mix multiple batches to complete a rod. I know its nice to do a guide wrap in 15 to 20 seconds as Tom has stated, but that ability usually takes years of practise. The long pot life is not so intriguing to the professionals ( such as Tom) but it is a godsend to thousands of newbies trying to get their current project picture perfect. And as for you pro's that do guides in 15 to 20 seconds, the long pot life in no way detracts from the overall time in the cure of the resin. It remains about the same.
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster