I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paua or Abalone
Posted by: Jeff Rodda (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 11:07AM

Have any of you worked with this stuff? I have seen pictures of rods done with paua and they are beautiful. I would like to try it myself. Any advice offered will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paua or Abalone
Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 11:44AM

Me too. I was thinking of posting the same question a couple of days ago. I have seen photos of this stuff on rods and to me it is the peak of beauty.
I have researched this a bit on the internet looking for sheet, alas all I could find was the real thing which is the cracked shell itself and looks like a mosaic. It is supplied in relatively small sizes of a4-5 inches sqare that are a little less than 2mm thick for about $20/sheet if my memory serves me correctly. So this stuff does not appear to be what we can use on rods, at least if we want to wrap it around the blank-too expensive, too thick, and too brittle. I searched for a synthetic sheet substitute, but came up with naught.
Someone out there knows where to get the stuff and how it should be worked. I too would really love to know !
Earl

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 12:37PM

Earl,

Here is a website selling Paua:

[www.oceanshellnz.com] (Use the left-right arrows to browse)

Rena (I love the Pink Paua Laminate)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2007 12:39PM by Rena Hall.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 01:18PM

If you search around a bit, you might come up with the magic to bending shells. Capiz shells from the Phillipines are usually supplied flat. But when you look around at products made from them you will trip over some when they appear to be able to bend/mold the shell. Would seem there is some process to soften the shell temporarily. Might work on other shells too.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: October 11, 2007 01:21PM

If no one chimes in on this, do a search for all dates on abalone and there was a post within the past year where a builder had a source for this and flexible, ready to put on the rods. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was, though? He did post a pic (or pics) of the work, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 02:07PM

Found something anyway:
Before the capiz shell can be fashioned into a work of art, it passes through labor-intensive processes. First, artisans wash the shells with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid, rinse them with water and use coarse sand to exfoliate the shells. Artisans place shells on a tray to dry and then bake them in an oven. To soften and whiten the shells, artisans soak the shells in peroxide. Then, they cut the softened shells into different patterns or mold them into shapes by gluing and pressing the shells into resin moldings.

OK,,, so you may not like the 'whiten' part. Sorta depends upon whether the colors of abalone are from pigments and/or from the refraction of the layers. Might be that this is specific to capiz shells as well. Anyway, seems softening is at least possible

Posted by: Joe Emig (---.224.234.38.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 02:57PM

Here is a previous discussion on the topic [www.rodbuilding.org] if you have any more questions after reading this thread just ask. Jared had good luck using this method and posted some great pictures of his work [www.rodbuilding.org] I will be giving a seminar in High Point describing the use of shell veneer for decorative accents. Thanks

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:40PM

Here is a link to a suppier in Hawaii

[www.aquabluemaui.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: October 14, 2007 02:11PM

Thanks every one for spreading some light on the subject. The laminate sold in some of the links posted on this thread may well work as they are down to 0.3mm in thickness so I will look into that.
Dave Hauser-as it happens, I live in the Philippines and capiz products are easily found anywhere here. There may be somthing in their methods and proceedures that can be transfered to abelone-I will research that too. I believe that you can do quite a bit of forming with very hot water, but I will have to verify that.
If I find anything out that might be helpfull I will put up a post.
Earl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster