I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Guide Securement!!!!
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 10, 2007 08:29AM

Gidday, my name is tom and i am 16 years old i live in brisbane australia, ive posted once before so i just thought id say hi in this one. i am currently building my second rod which is being built on a samurai S0001X blank and i am using single foot guides and im having some troubles. ive tried hot melt glue but i find it bulks it up to much, ive tried rubber bands and tape and none of them seem to do what i want so does anyone have any ideas i could try it would be a big help seeing as me or my dad have never used single foots on any of our rods, (they have all been heavy baitcasters for barra)

this rod will be used for soft plastics fishing for bream, flathead, small jewies, mangrove jack etc etc.

as i said before this is my second rod being built and my first one from absolute scratch so i want it to be perfect, thankyou for any help and thanks to the replies on color chices i went with purple with blue metallic trim bands, looks really good with the blue winch fitting

Thanks for any help
Tom..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Guide Securement!!!!
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 08:56AM

With the hot melt a little goes a long way. HEat the guide foot up lightly and touch it to teh glue stick, then get it on teh rod ASAP. I use surgical tubing cut into bands, but I have no idea where you'd get the "right stuff" in Australia - teh surgical stuff is the key, the fishing tubing stinks as it streches and splits.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 09:10AM

Tom;
Link to this page on the mudhole tackle site
[shop.mudhole.com]#

There is a hole series of vidio's you can watch which will help you with your guide wraps and other parts of the rod. once you've opened a vidio double click on it and it will go to full screen making it easier to watch.

I personally use masking tape that is 1/4 wide to hold to guide to the blank. Using narrow tape gives you more room to get the thread up the guide ft. before removing.
when removing the tape hold the guide ft in place. by keepig little preause on the guide ring area. Sometimes on smaller guides they will try to pull out from under the thread if you don't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2007 09:21AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 09:26AM

As far as the surgical tubing goes ... take an easier route - get some dental bands from an orthodonist. These are the little rubber bands used on braces. You will need two sizes - 1/8" (light) and 3/16" (heavy). They are probably sized in millimeters there, but you can convert and get the basic idea of the sizes you are looking for - also, the light and heavy should do the trick. Take care.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 10, 2007 12:33PM

I cut and use thin pieces of masking tape. I also roll up a strip of masking tape with the sticky side out to about 3/16 inch diameter cylinder. I use the sticky tape cylinder by jamming it behind the guide foot on the blank to help hold the guide upright as I start the wrap. One of these cylinders will remain useful for a couple of rods. Use the blue painters tape to avoid leaving sticky residue on the blank.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 12:56PM

You only need a light swipe of the hot melt on the guide foot after you've heated it up. I then press it firmly onto the blank with a wet thumb and hold it until the glue has cooled. Works fine for me.
How do you find the S001X: I've found the Samurais to be quite underrated.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: October 10, 2007 02:02PM

A new twist........
I find it particularly difficult with tiny single foot guides....Try this product.(Spider Thread)

[www.1stopfishingsupplyshop.com]

This is a strechy monofiliment like product used for securing the tops of ROE bags for trout and salmon fishing.
When wrapped over it's self it automatically grips with no need to tie off. If you wrap several turns near the base of the guide(ring end) and pull tight to break the thread it will lock it's self in place and still give you the ability to shift the guide around. Start wrapping the guide and when it's held by the wrapping thread cut off the Spider Thread.
I hope this makes sense.......

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: October 10, 2007 02:13PM

Dave, that's a great idea!!! How thin is it comapred to size A? Do you have to cut it off, or can you grab the end of it and unwrap it....while at teh same time wrapping the guide foot?

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: October 10, 2007 03:26PM

Spider thread is magic, I have been using it for roe bags for a while and have NEVER had a bag unwrap. Just started to use it on guides and I cannot think of anything that would work better. Billy, you won't be able to unwrap it, it locks into itself. Just cut it with a razor blade and it pops off. It's thinner tham A, plus the moer you strech it the thinner it gets. Really strechy stuff.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.224.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 03:39PM

Many years ago when I built my first (and only) rod ......... I made sure I had the right spot on the rod for the guide and I put the tinyest drop of super glue ......... it did the job of holding the guide in place while wrapping .......... don't know whether that's acceptable but it worked ........ only 1 spot on the guide not the whole foot ..........

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 04:49PM

Dave Orr, or Gary Colling
I like this idea. Have question; you say it holds to itself, but will it stay that way after repeated uses?
Thinking about using it to tie skirts to jig heads for bass fishing, it would be a lot easier then tying off the ends of regular thread.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (129.42.184.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 06:03PM

Great idea. I've been using velcro cable ties, but they get a bit challenging with small guides.
Looks like there are two such products as you mention: Redwing Spider Thread and Atlas Magic Thread.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: October 10, 2007 06:44PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave Orr, or Gary Colling
> I like this idea. Have question; you say it holds
> to itself, but will it stay that way after
> repeated uses?
> Thinking about using it to tie skirts to jig
> heads for bass fishing, it would be a lot easier
> then tying off the ends of regular thread.
>

Steve
I'm not sure how it would work for that application.
You could do a little testing.
I'm not sure how it would hold up under actual fishing conditions.
With ROE bags they are a disposable commodity and are as such are only single use and toss away.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 08:38PM

I like Joe's idea. Makes more sense than trimming a toothpick into a wedge shape and watch it frequently shoot out.
Stan

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 10:45PM

Tom,

I am in Sydney .. we are part of the few Aussies on the board!! Its a pity Rod Crafting is not as popular here as it is in the US.

Anyway, to answer your question, I use masking tape. I got some of the narrow stuff from Mudhole (they are a great international supplier). Just wrap it up near the stem of the guide and make sure you leave enough of the foot uncovered to warp up (I leave about 3-4mm). On the really small guides, use the 1/8th tap. You can just cut pieces of a regular fat roll of tape.

I tried the surgical tube and found it to be great for working out spacings but a hassle to remove when wrapping. The tape is the best way.

Cheers mate
Chris

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 01:01AM

Like Joe, we use a 1/8" or 1/16" tape to secure the foot and we peel it back as the wrap progesses.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 11, 2007 03:32AM

Hi, and thanks for the advice, i got home from school today and tried hot melt again and this time it worked beautifully i heated up the foot of teh guide and rubbed it along the stick and placed it onto the blank then placed a thin strip of masking taoe around it aswell. and where would i go to get nice thin tape at the moment im cutting a larger role witha a scalpel into narrow strips.

i have completed most of the wraps just a few more to go in about 1hour ill do em. as for the blank itself its really good for a guy like me who is just getting into soft plastics i think itll be perfect. my dad is going to build one he has been building for 40 years or so, we are having a build off this is my secon rod so i think he has teh advantage but i have good eye sight lol he doesnt. i just hope it fishes well,

thanks for all the help and ill try and get it finished so i can go fishing on sunday hahah.

oh and btw IT LOOKS AWESOME..

now just have to attempt my first "fancy" butt wrap.

cheers guys.
Tom

Date: October 11, 2007 08:42AM

> teh guide
> now just have to attempt my first "fancy" butt wrap.

Well, if my butt wrapping rubs off on you teh way my spelling has, you'll be in business, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster