I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Slicing EVA
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 07:58PM

Wondering what you guys use to slice EVA into think accent rings. I thought I remembered reading to use fishing line and get the EVA spinning. It just seems to break the fishing line before you can get very far into the EVA. Hints?

Thanks in advance.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slicing EVA
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 08:02PM

I use a Scalpel or my razor knife

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 08:03PM

I use "D" size wrapping thread, lasts for multiple cuts. I'd think fishing line unless a heavy line would be to fragile to friction.

Posted by: John Britt (68.200.47.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 08:21PM

I use D thread if you have a lathe I would think fishing line could be dangerous to use

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 08:27PM

I use a scaspel or a shoe knife, but I'm sure the thread would work too.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 09:24PM

Ooh yeah! Wrapping thread. Duh!! I tell you what sometimes I can really feel like a big fat dummy...just not sure if the emphasis is on the big fat or the dummy.

Thanks, guys. I knew you'd set me straight.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 10:53PM

We've used fishing line on a piece of EVA mounted on a mandrel. But we also use a mini-chop saw with a carbide blade, which make perfectly square and smooth cuts almost as thin as you might want.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 11:02PM

I use a piece of Spider Wire. The 2 ends are wrapped around a couple of popsicle sticks. I don't let the Spider Wire touch the mandrel, it will get hot and grab. Finish the cut with a thin utility blade after removing from the mandrel. I can get about a dozen cuts with one piece of line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 10:29AM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:52AM

Once I got 42,673 cuts with a spool of D thread. I've also used razor blades held with a vice grip for 1/24 - 1/32" thin rings, and I get teh same thin cut using a bandsaw off a 2x2x18"square block giving my about 20 trim rings per strip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 11:40AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:58AM

I have used all the above. I have even cut EVA with a ultra thin stainless steel wire. All of the above can be hazardous and dangerous when cutting EVA at a high speed. You need to cut this foam at a high speed to get a even square cuts. So take care when cutting.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (199.76.161.---)
Date: October 09, 2007 07:37AM

try some powerpro. I've never tried it but it should work. At cabelas or BPS or Sportsmans warehouse where they spool reels they should have bulk spools and I believe its 5-8 cents a yard. So for about a quarter I'm sure you could get several cuts worth. And it comes in sizes up to 150 lb but it still has a small enough diameter that It shout give nice clean cuts.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 09, 2007 08:26AM

I do the thread trick the one caution i would give in addition to what Bob said or perhaps to elaborate on what he said. DON'T WRAP THE THREAD AROUND YOUR FINGERS. Good way to loose a finger.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 10:27AM

Be sure to follow Billy Brodrick and Bob Balcombe's advice for safety's sake. Personally, I am afraid to use any metal cutting blade for fear of it grabbing and kicking back, no matter what the rotational direction.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 11:30AM

If you want to do the thread cutting method, use first generation type braid. The uncoated stuff. It is thinner and a tad rougher, so it cuts. And yes, wrap the ends around pieces of dowel or something, not your fingers.
A coping saw with a fine tooth or scroll saw blade would be a step up from string/thread.
I think the best tool for slicing is a bandsaw tho. Thin blade. so less material loss than other blades. Almost no pressure required to cut, and so safer. It is fast and yields consistent ring thicknesses.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: October 09, 2007 11:42AM

YOu guys are really overthinking this. Its' a REALLY SIMPLE process. Hold teh spool of thread in one hand, hold teh thread between thumb and forefinger in another. Turn teh lathe one, put tension on, and cut the trim ring. 2 seconds later, cut another. In 10 seconds you;; have 5 trim rings (3 for the butt 2 for the foregrip), and you can take teh spool of thread you used to wrap teh guides on teh rod if you cut an additional 12" off the spool. Unless you are looking to cut extremely thin trim rings, this is all you need to do. If you are unable to cut a consistant ring width trim ring with D thread, you shoudl look into taking up another hobby.

Date: October 09, 2007 12:29PM

I tried the by hand, string thing. Much much faster and more accurate on the bandsaw. In the time it takes me to slice a full grip into consistent ring thicknesses on the band saw, you'd perhaps just have got past getting the grip on a mandrel and spinning (Is that a challenge I hear? :-) Tell you what Billy,,,, I challenge you to cutting angled rings :-)
Of course I have a bandsaw. It I didn't then I'd either go the string route for a few straight rings, or one of my stationary circular saws with a thin kerf blade for a lot of rings or angles.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 01:27PM

Bily,was that NCP or nylon thread??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2007 01:39PM

I'll take that challenge and I'll use the thread and without measuring I'll slice you any number of rings in any thickness you want in about 2 seconds each. Nothing wrong with a bandsaw, but most rod builders won't have one handy. Most do have some sort of lathe or motorized rod wrapper. Obviously I'm talking about flat rings, not angled cuts.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: October 09, 2007 01:54PM

When was the last time anyone has seen someone post a picture of an angled cut of EVA?

When making your angled cut, you'll probably have to reposition the fence & miter guage to switch over to or from cutting straight rings, unless you're making Vee shapes in the grip with a 45 on both sides, which will take more time than making the trim rings and sticking a grip in a Miter box to be cut with a serrated bread knife.

Date: October 09, 2007 07:45PM

Yeah I know Tom,, I added the angled cut as a gotcha :-) Would be a tad difficult with a thread.
Likje I said tho, if I didn'r have the bandsaw, then I'd go the other options. That's why I mentioned the others first. But if you are talking the best for slicing, I think bandsaw will win hands down. It's a little faster than 2 seconds too. More important though is there is little/no setup time. Nothing to mount on a mandrel. Just chop away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 08:01PM by Dave Hauser.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster