I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

aftcote cracking
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 02:59PM

anyone ever have trouble with aftcote cracking. I looked at a rod I built and the epoxy had cracked along a couple guide foots. I'm sure it took a good blow, but with other rods I haven't had that happen. Maybe it was just a good whack it got!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: aftcote cracking
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 03:14PM

Alex How well did you prep the guide feet? If the guide feet are not tapered to make a easy transition from the blank to the guide. this can cause the finish to crack.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Walt Galen (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 06:56PM

You did not say casting or spinning guide. If its a casting guide, the heavy duty type with the extra brace from the bottom of the ring to the foot on each side, that could be the problem. That type of guide is ultra stiff and when the blank bends it forces the foot up off the blank and will crack the epoxy right at the edge of the foot.. I have seen this happen on new factory rods. Consequently I have since stopped buying that type of guide and I have never had any more problems with the epoxy cracking at the foot. If you used standard type guides I agree with the above post that tapering the foot will most likely eliminate the problem. Either way I do not think its the brand of epoxy you are using.

Walt

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2007 07:01PM

Non-flexible guides certainly can cause this. So can thinning your epoxy with a solvent or heating it. I'd lean towards what the two posts above mention, however. You need a more flexible guide and/or a shallower taper on the end of the guide foot.

Date: October 08, 2007 07:23PM

Like Walt stated this can happen with all finishes. If you havent preped your guides and if they are the stiff style and do not flex with the blank as Tom stated. What type of guides are you using and what type of blank are they on? What are you fishing for?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net.176.28.72)
Date: October 08, 2007 08:45PM

st croix 3C62MXF with fuji LSGs. Casting rod. It wasn't from rod flex. I got to looking closer and the epoxy around the hook keeper, the first from the reel and the side guide (simple spiral) are all cracked. I think it at some point the rod got hit, dropped, bounced around, etc. Best explanation I can think of. I brought the guides down to a nice fine, tapered point. The crack on the one guide runs along side the length of the foot.

Now.. best way to fix it is???

Date: October 08, 2007 11:19PM

You have 2 choices #1 is to rewrap and finish, the other is to take a gray scuff pad an lightly scuff the finsh and put a light recoat over the old finish.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:54AM

Did you use CP on the threads? While some guys dont' have this problem, there's a whole lot that have a problem with epoxy cracking on CP'd guides.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 09:36AM

Yes, used CP. I'll try to take a picture and post it. From the looks of it, just about any finish would have cracked. Looks like the rod took a pretty good whack on the guides.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2007 09:56AM

If the crack is along the side of the guide foot/feet, then most likely it was dropped. Not much you can do about it other than scuffing and recoating, or rewrapping. Or... just leave it alone. If the guides are still fast to the blank, then you might just continue using it as is.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 01:37PM

Use a black overwrap and if you get the finish cracking you can coat it with Birchwood-Casey black paint and a coat of finish will make it look new, been doing this for many years. Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster