I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting Cork
Posted by: Ronnie Lay (67.32.36.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 01:45PM

I was thinking of trying to airbrush a design on to my cork handles, but I don't know what to seal it with. Any questions/ideas?

I need something that can stand up to the oil in sweaty hands.

Thanks

Tight Lines <')))))>< Ronnie Lay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting Cork
Posted by: larry pickering (---.sub-70-197-121.myvzw.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 03:15PM

Ronnie, just got thru sealing some cork, I used clear lacquer.

Date: October 08, 2007 05:19PM

Thanks Larry!

Do I just use any old clear lacquer (from Home depot)?

Thanks for your help

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 07:16PM

Ronnie,

Larry only said that he "sealed cork using lacquer" It did not have a painting on it.

You should be advised that:: lacquer will raise and bubble almost all types of paint.

There is an old painter's saying:

"You can put paint over lacquer. but you can not put lacquer over paint.

Rena (Pink bubbles rising in the air)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 10:58PM

Klass Kote is a 2 part epoxy paint that somes in quite a few colors, used to paint model airplanes and protect them from fuel and other chemicals, etc. Very stout stuff, used it on rod wraps and some blank painting.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 01:16AM

Ronnie Why do you want to paint Cork? I I guess I was to paint Cork. I would get a 2 part auto paint. One part is the color and to other part is a clear top coat. You can find this type of paint in rattle cans at a auto paint store
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: larry pickering (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 09:39AM

Ronnie, I assumed you wanted to seal the cork to keep your art work from soaking into the cork, then airbrush and clear the art work. Try to use acrylic lacqure, you can find this in spray cans, in most part stores, auto paint supply stores and most big box building supply. For the top coat I would use a good grade of Automotive 2 part urthane clear. This will wear off with use, and it will look like #@^^***. Also the handle will fill and look like plastic.

Date: October 09, 2007 01:07PM

Thanks for your help guys!

To make sure I get this straight,

Step 1 Seal the Cork ( clear lacquer)
Step 2 Air brush the Cork
Step 3 Seal with an acrylic lacquer

If this looks right, are there any particular brands of lacquer/paint you would recommend

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 01:41PM

Give it one or two coats of Flex Coat to get it smooth, do your painting, coat it with Flex Coat for protection. Jesse

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.153.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 02:56PM

Thread wrap finish flood coat will seal and fill any holes in your cork. If you want to get it real nice, use two coats after sanding the first coat. Let dry at least two days. Enamel will go over lacquer - but lacquer will pick up and wringler enamel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster