I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing grips to a user
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.acsalaska.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 10:33PM

The next thing about rod building I want to learn is how to size the grips to the user. Length of cork to put the reel the right distance from the butt, and anything else there is to learn about this aspect of rod building. Haven't made progress searching- perhaps not using the right terms. Any guidance on finding the info is appreciated. Thanks,

Pesco Ergo Sum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing grips to a user
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 12:12AM

There really isn't any wrong way to do it, that's what custom rods are all about, making it like you or the customer likes. That said for long gripped salmon/steelhead rods that will be held by the angler I like to have the grip at or a little shorter than the distance from the hold the angler likes to the end of his elbow.
Any longer really doesn't improve anything and can start hanging up in clothing etc. during use.
Other type rods sometimes have different length grips due to the presentation used and if the grip will interfere with it. Topwater fishing comes to mind, I like a shorter grip for this and jerkbaits so the grip isn't hitting my arm above the wrist during the presentation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2007 01:03AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 12:49AM

I'm with Spencer! Whatever is preferred and most comfortable for the user. Depends on their fishing style, length of arms, hands, etc. There is no Right or Wrong or standard.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2007 07:04AM

Two issues back of the Rod Maker Mag has some good advice on working with grips to make them fit to the clients hand size.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 08:54AM

Right/Wrong - Style/Function. There can be some differences of opinion on this subject.

What the angler wants and how it fits will also be impacted by the word correct/incorrect in some cases. Cases in point - 1. Stand-ups for use in belted harnesses 2. Swim bain for under arm tuck 3. Spey fly rods 4. Split grips for blank contact with heel of hand 4. Position of fore grip for haeavy weight fly rods.

Diameter, Shape, Length, Surface and Placement can all have a lot to do with a well thought out grip. The ergonometrics concepts covered in the Rodmaker Issue pointed out that custom builders could really improve their product by attention to detail for grips.

The standards for production rods remains very low in most cases and it opens the door for those who understand and will work with a customer to get the optimim grip set up.

Bruce you are quite wise to recognize this as an area that many builders tend to place low priority.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 09:38AM

Another rod worth mentioning is Surf Rods,Very long rods capable of throwing weight a long way. Was given a surf rod and after casting it realised that the butt section had been shortened by 4-6 Inches. I added about 9 inches to make it comfortable for me. It has added Quite a bit of Distance to the cast

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 09:43AM

This is one of the reasons why I like to build my own rods. I have the unusual ergonomic combination of very long arms and wide shoulders, 6’4” tall with 36 sleeve, and small hands, size medium glove. Doing some dry fitting and test casting can get you dialed in on what is most comfortable.

Another good tactic if you are building a rod for a customer is to have them bring in their favorite factory rods and try to get them to explain what they like and don’t like about them.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (199.76.158.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 11:59AM

I agree barry...I'm 6'5'' with a 37 inch sleeve, I like my rods with a long but and when people use one of my personal rods thety hate them because they can't handle the long grips.

But for buildign a rod for somebody else I measure from their wrist to their elbow and subtract 2 or 3 inches and mount the reelseat here making sure thebottom is the measured distance from the butt. Thats usually works for baitcastign and spinnging rods. Fly rods are a different Issue all together.

I read about how to size a grip to someones hand using play-doh. What they did was get a client to pick up different sizes of dowell rod till the found one that was a comfortable size. Then go down 1/2 inch in size and take play-doh and roll it out to a 1/4inch then roll it on the dowel rod and get them to grip the play-doh covered dowell. Then you'll have an idea where and how to taper it to fit their hand.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 10:25PM

I copied the article Ked is referring to into a Word file some time ago. I got it off of Fly Anglers on Line, I believe. It's written by Stephen H. McGarthwaite and it does a great job of describing how to fit a fly rod grip to a person's hand. If anyone is interested in seeing the article, drop me an email and I'll send it to you.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 08, 2007 11:45PM

Another way to analyze the customer's "real" grip pattern is to look at the grips on his current rods. See where the most wear is, and the most discoloration from his hand oils. That'll tell you where he actually grips the rod, and it may even not match what he tells you he wants. Now, that may be because his current grips don't fit him, or it may be because he doesn't realize what he really does with his hands. But most customers know what they want, and one of the reasons they come to you is because they can't get it in the stores.

It's called consultative selling, or something like that. You need to listen to him and give him some ideas, but not confuse him. A neat thing to do is pre-build some grips in different sizes and shapes on some spare pieces of blanks, so he can mess with them and feel the differences. Not a lot of chances to do that in the sporting goods stores, because the grips are attached to the rods there, and that affects how the grip feels in his hands. This way, it's just his hand and the grip.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:08PM

There have been some ergonomic articles dancing around such things, but it really depends heavily on the person size, their preferences, and the rod style. You can nail down arm lengths and hand size perhaps, and maybe even rod type (trolling, standup, spinning. harnessed or not, etc). Personal preferences, however, are all over the place. The hardest thing I found about trying to build a surprise rod as a gift was not being able to really ask the guy what he liked. Think I nailed it, but only thru a lot of digging with people who knew his past equipment really well. Turned out he likes much longer rear grips than I am comfortable with, and it is because he fishes with the butt primarily under his forearm, rather than butt in gutt as I usually do. I could have so easily built the grips to ot work well for his fishing style.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster