I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod for bass sugestions
Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.swbell.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 03:56PM

I'm going to make a 7 or 8 wt fly rod for bass(largemouth). I'm looking at the rainshadow RX7 or Five rivers FT. I currently use a St. Croix sc iv 6 wt(before ipc) and when there's wind (almost always where I live) or casting bigger bugs it makes casting a little more challenging than I'd like. Any thoughts on either of these two choices or any other ideas would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod for bass sugestions
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (128.163.237.---)
Date: October 07, 2007 04:49PM

go with the 8wt it will help throw the big bugs...and cortland makes a bass taper line its in their precision line that has a heavier front taper that makes it even easier to make good casts with. I'd also use double strippers to try and eliminate line slap. redid a 8 wt I built a few years back and put 2 strippers on it and I can tell a difference.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 07, 2007 05:25PM

I too like the 8 wts better, in really tough conditions I use a 10 wt. The RX7 would be more like your St Croix, but the FT would give you much more reserve power when fighting the fish. My favorite way to fish LM is with sliders in the pads, followed by a deadly technique of a full sink line and a floatant soaked hair bug. Let the line pull the bug under than let it rise back up off the bottom. Something I picked up from Homer Circle fishing in Florida.

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: October 07, 2007 07:35PM

Either and 8wt or 10wt will work great; if wind is a consistent problem give the 10 a serious thought. I really like the idea Spencer gave, the sinking line + floating bug! I am already anxious to try it next summer.

To add an idea to this conversation, try using a foam bodied minnow imitation, I think it is one of Clouser’s, the Clouser Floating Minnow or something like that, I forget the actual name.

It is supper east to put together: tie in a clump of your favorite tail material at the bend, and then whip finish immediately. The original fly used buck tail, I like marabou for the extra movement. Next take two of the small pre-shaped floating foam bodes that bluegill fisherman use to make beetle and cricket bodies and glue them either side of the tail clump. You can leave the ends pointed or rounded for a slider; or trim them at an angle for a popper or floater/diver action. It takes less time to construct the fly than it took me to type this message. If you get into pickerel they will leave teeth marks in the foam, of course, but even then the things hold up remarkably well, and they never loose buoyancy. I can’t wait to try this out with Spencer’s Idea!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 07:51PM

Randy,
Use the FT 907 4pc - not the 8wt. The rod works best with a 9wt inter line or a 10wt floater - I use recoils for running guides and, very important, REC recoil tip-top also.. The 8wt needs a 10wt inter and an 11wt float to load.
The 7wt is the sweetest of the FT line. I have them all from 5wt to 10wt. If you want to throw an 8wt with an FT go with the 5wt. The 6wt's tip is too soft for bugs.
Herb

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 09:37PM

I prefer a 9 foot 9 wt. The absolute best of both worlds, especially when the wind comes up and you have to throw a big Dahlberg. The 7 WT may feel inadequate. But with your choices, go with the 8.

Paul

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 07, 2007 10:10PM

Years ago, somewhere around the 88-90 I was assisting some friends at the Sportsman's Show in San Mateo, CA. The fish tank had a bunch of nice bass, but as usual they were really off the feed.
Just for kicks I went to the Umpqua Feather Merchant booth and talked them out of a bumble bee yellow hair bug popper and cutting off the hook I threw the above set up in the tank. I had 6 takes in one pass and a little 13 incher grabbed to bug and wouldn't let go, I had him completely out of the water for a few seconds before he released the bug. The people there couldn't believe it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2007 09:00AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.swbell.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 10:28PM

Are there any other blanks I may want to check into?
Spencer, I'm going to have to try out the floatant soaked hair bug.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 02:43AM

My preference is the Rainshadow RX8-unbeatable performance for the $$ in my opinion.

paul

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 05:04PM

Check out the CTS Affinity MX 9' - 4 pc. - 8 wt. I think Fishsticks4u still has one in stock. I've got a 7 wt. that I've used on the New River throwing some big bugs for big smallies. The 8 wt. might be better for big largemouth. Fantastic bass rod. Lighter and better performance than anything I've ever used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster